Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

tomsimon

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jun 27, 2011
Access from our MacBook Pro has always been spotty (mainly having to reconnect all the time), but now we cannot access our main shared folder at all.

We have an Active Directory connected Mac (OS X 10.5.8) accessing a server running Window Small Business Server 2008.

When I attempt to manually connect (Cmd K) I get a permissions error. I believe the wrong user name or password is cached, but I cannot figure out how to get prompted so I can use a different user name and password. When I try to connect I just get the error message. How do I force a login prompt? I have tried deleting the key chain named the same as the server I am attempting to access, but that does nothing.

Also, how do I get that server to show up in the network computers in Finder? The other two servers, both running Windows Server 2003, show up every time.

Thanks!

Tom

Mactasia

macrumors member
Jun 10, 2011
UK
Head in to the Utilities folder and open Keychain Access. See if there is any remembered credentials for the share you can delete there.

tomsimon

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jun 27, 2011
Already tried that

As I noted in my original posting I already deleted any key chains related to that server share.

Mactasia

macrumors member
Jun 10, 2011
UK
Apologies. That's the only place it's going to store any credentials, so if it's not in there then I'm fresh out on that one.

Have you definitely got the share path correct and the permissions on the Windows side set correctly? Maybe try removing the permissions on the Windows share so anybody can connect as a test?

tomsimon

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jun 27, 2011
Good idea for troubleshooting

I will try changing the permissions, but this was working for a long time with no changes to the server whatsoever. During one session on the Mac it was working, then it just stopped. Ever since then I cannot get OS X to prompt me for the username and password. That is the real issue at this point. There has got to be a way of forcing the Mac to uncache this information.

Mactasia

macrumors member
Jun 10, 2011
UK
If you didn't want to change the permissions then you could always create a test user account on the Mac. Login and try connecting to the share. If it works then you definitely know it is an issue with that particular account you are using, if not, then it is probably a problem with the share.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.