Mac CD-Rs not playing on Sony system

Discussion in 'Mac OS X 10.3 (Panther) Discussion' started by Rich-Joy, Apr 12, 2004.

1. Rich-Joy macrumors newbie

Apr 12, 2004
    Hi - Ima MAC Newbie!
    I've just changed over from PC to iMac and have tried burning some copies of my CDs, using both iTunes and Toast.

Now while the resultant burns will play in the iMac AND the PC AND my 10 year old portable beatbox CD player, they will NOT play on my 2+ year old expensive SONY system!!!

However, I have played plenty of other burnt CDs on the SONY in the past, with no problem, but it won't recognise the iMac burnt CD-Rs.

Anyone have any clues about what I can do???!!!

Cheers! (and Thanks in advance)
  2. question fear macrumors 68020

question fear

Apr 10, 2003
    The "Garden" state
    thats weird.
    kind of a dumb question, and i doubt its true if your old boombox played stuff, but is it possible you burned them as mp3 cds? you can check this in burning preferences in itunes i believe.
    also, what brand of cd-r did you use?
    finally, and this is a shot in the dark, but did you burn any AAC files? (ie stuff you downloaded from the itunes store?)
  3. Rich-Joy thread starter macrumors newbie

Apr 12, 2004
    I use Verbatim Data Life plus 48x CD-R 700MB ...

The CDs were just average length too.

I did first copy a couple of the original CDs into the iTunes Library and burnt one at 2x speed and one at maximum speed,

BUT, the one I did in TOAST was a direct copy from the CD ...

Cheers! R-J
  4. Makosuke macrumors 603

Aug 15, 2001
    The Cool Part of CA, USA
    This may be off based, but in the past I've had problems playing those dark blue Verbatim discs on Sony CD players (and other brands, for that matter--they're so much darker than a normal CD, the lasers don't pick up enough reflected light to see the disc).

I'd expect that any player built within the last two years wouldn't have a problem, though, and it sounds like you've played similar discs burned with other computers.

Try this, just for the heck of it: go out and find some Sony CD-Rs (they're light green and more compatible), and try one of those (they're decent quality anyway). If they don't work either, it's definitely your computer. If they DO, then your player doesn't like Verbatim media, or your CD burner doesn't like it as much causing your player to not like it, or some combination thereof.

If they play in other discs your CD burner obviously can't be completely funky, and you must be burning audio CDs.