Mac CD's and PC's::HELP!!!!!

Discussion in 'Mac Apps and Mac App Store' started by Debra, Oct 30, 2004.

1. Debra macrumors newbie

Hello!
    I have received a cd that was created on a mac that contains .wav and .aiff files that were also generated on a mac. I cannot cut/paste/ or import into any program or play on my pc.I keep getting errors saying the files are not there. I tried copying the disc and it came out blank, i saw that it was copyright protected, though not sure why that would be a problem. When I browse the cd, the files look like they are all there, they even have the file size next to them. Is this a mac to pc issue or do you think my cd is corrupted. Any help would be appreciated!!!!!!!!!!
    Thank you so much!!!!!
    Debra

2. daveL macrumors 68020

daveL

Without knowing how the CD was burned on the Mac, it's pretty difficult to answer your question. Was it burned as a music CD, Mac data CD, iso image, etc.

I take it you don't have a Mac around?

3. Debra thread starter macrumors newbie

It was burned as a mac data disc, I dont have a mac around....any ideas?
    Thanks!!!!!

4. daveL macrumors 68020

daveL

Well, I know that you can burn a data CD as Mac only or as Mac/PC compatible. From the sounds of it, you have a Mac-only data CD, so the file system used on the CD isn't being grooked by Windows. Of course, I'm still just giving you my best guess.

5. Blue Velvet Moderator emeritus

And if that's true, then you have possibly four options:

1. Ask the person who burnt the CD to reburn it with Mac/PC compatibility.

2 & 3. Find someone with a Mac who can open the disk & copy the contents on to a new CD with PC compatibility OR if they have an Apple laptop you may be able to connect it to your machine.

4. Buy something like MacOpener ($50 download, I'm afraid)
    http://www.dataviz.com/products/macopener/

There may be other utilities around that do something similar but I'm not sure what they are...

6. scan300 macrumors 6502

I came across this problem in Jaguar (OSX 10.2). Though the CDs burnt were supposed to be compatible with Windows they weren't. I had the same problem of being able to browse the files, but Windows couldn't find the file when I tried to open it. This was fixed in later updates to Jaguar, and works fine in Panther (10.3).

If the person supplying the CDs are using a Mac with system software 10.2 or earlier they should try writing on a computer with a later system, or use Toast, which can burn cross compatible CDs.

You can find a mac article about this at http://docs.info.apple.com/article.html?artnum=107035

7. MacSA macrumors 68000

MacSA

8. cluthz macrumors 68040

cluthz