Mac challenged... imac works, doesn't see keyboard

Discussion in 'Macintosh Computers' started by nickellee, Nov 30, 2004.

1. nickellee macrumors newbie

I'm an elementary computer teacher with a lab of iMac's. 3 of these machines are not working due to the following:

1) computer works, doesn't see or register what is pressed on the keyboard or mouse. I've tried switching keyboards, mice, etc. no luck. USB appears connected on the inside (opened the cover)

2) monitor won't turn on

3) hard drive is "missing"

How do I open the whole thing to pull the hard drive out of the one whose monitor isn't working and put it into the one whose hard drive is missing?

mac-challenged nickellee

2. California macrumors 68040

California

What kind of imacs are you talking about?

What do you mean monitor won't turn on?

What do you mean "appears connected on the inside"?

Be specific and need to know what machine configuration you have. I'm guessing they are G3s but what kind? There were several.

3. Butler Trumpet macrumors 6502

Butler Trumpet

what cover did you open? how old are these iMacs? And remember to check before you open anything with screws because you could void your warranty

4. gekko513 macrumors 603

gekko513

You don't void your warranty by opening the screws on the new iMac, do you?? It's supposed to be self serviceable.

5. jestershinra macrumors regular

Wrong. Especially on the iMac G5's. There are quite a few user servicable and user-replacable parts, including the PS and midplane assembly.

On other models too...you can add or remove video cards in PM's w/o voiding a warranty, and that involves screws.

Please, don't be so quick to make incorrect statements. This person sounds like they are new, and your comments hardly help.