.mac chat through trillian and adium?!?!

Discussion in 'Mac Apps and Mac App Store' started by whyrichard, Feb 21, 2006.

1. whyrichard macrumors 68000

Aug 15, 2002
    Hello Good people, wonderful mac community...

couldn't figure this out.

i have an ichat account, whyrichard@mac.com.

i can still log on through ichat, but through adium it never works.

on my pc, i tried would love to be able to log onto aim's network using TRILLIAN but that has never worked either....

any suggestions?

2. Counterfit macrumors G3

Aug 20, 2003
    sitting on your shoulder
    Do Adium and Trillian support using .Mac accounts for IM?

*checks websites* Adium says it does, Trillian doesn't mention .Mac.
  3. calebjohnston macrumors 68000

Jan 24, 2006
    even though iChat counts your .mac as something equivalent to AIM (I believe), Adium/Trillian do not. You'll have to have a regular AIM name for those messenger applications.

I could be wrong, but im 99% sure that's the case.

EDIT: I just read the above post - I guess Adium does support it? Strange that it doesn't work then. Send a ticket into Adium on their site and let them know of the issue.
  4. evands macrumors member

Oct 23, 2001
    Decatur, GA
    calebjohnston: You're mistaken :)

.Mac accounts are just AIM accounts with @mac.com at the end. Any IM client which supports AIM will support them -- just type the name in as username@mac.com.

Adium takes this a step further and has an explicit ".Mac" account type -- select that when you're adding an account via the Accounts preferences. You then do not need to include @mac.com on the name.
  5. tdhurst macrumors 68040

Dec 27, 2003
    Portland, OR

Adium supports Jabber, MSN, Yahoo, AIM, .Mac and gmail chat accounts. How do I know? I use it for every one of those accounts.
  6. FireArse macrumors 6502a

Oct 29, 2004

Appleretail guy:

Just looked at your username, and then your location. Do you really work in an Apple retail store in Arizona? I bought my iPod Photo 40GB in the Tempe store in Nov. 2k4. It got stolen. Nice store though, 2weeks later i was in the queue waiting for a lucky bag in Regents Street - good memories.