Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MR_MOJO_RISIN

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Mar 27, 2016
In Mac Chess I would like to be able to go back to earlier in the game and then step through the game's remaining moves (i.e. have the board pieces move). Even to do a replay step through from the beginning of the game.

Is there a way to do this or an equivalent workaround?

Opening an in-progress saved game only allows you to continue play from the saved point. Opening a completed game does not allow you to do anything but see the final ending positions of the pieces. In both these cases you cannot go back to earlier in the game and then step through the moves from that point.

There is a game log however it does not have any functionality. You cannot click or use the keyboard from a point in the log and then step through the remaining moves. (What is the purpose of the log if you cannot do so?)

Please someone let me know if this is possible. Thank you!

Paulk

macrumors 6502
Feb 10, 2008
Sweden
I don't know about Mac Chess, but surely there must be other variants that do allow this. If not, it is very relevant question!

MR_MOJO_RISIN

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Mar 27, 2016
Paulk, Thank you for the reply. If I cannot find a resolution to my issue then I will just have to scrap playing Mac Chess and find another (free) chess app. I liked Mac Chess because it is free and included in Mac OS X. :(

Paulk

macrumors 6502
Feb 10, 2008
Sweden
Have you not got a Mac any more? I went over to Microsoft and now regret having done so - for many reasons, though I don't play chess.

That reminds me, I should change my signature...

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.