Mac chess

Discussion in 'Games' started by gingi, Jun 20, 2006.

1. macrumors newbie

Just got my 1st. Mac. Itsa an Intel iMac, Was playing the chess game that came with it, and the game started doing weird stuff like not allowing my moves.Has anyone experienced the same thing and know how to fix it? much thanxs.:confused:

2. macrumors 6502a

smwatson

When you say it didnt allow your moves do you mean it played a small chime?
    If so, check the following:
    1. The move doesnt result in your king being under threat.
    2. The game rules are set to standard and not to suicidal etc.
    3. Your move is legal. e.g. trying to move your king more than 1 space will result in it not allowing your move
    If thats in order, then i dont know.

3. thread starter macrumors newbie

Mac chess

There's a few things its doing strange.
    1. I'll make a legal move and the game returns my piece to its previous position, but not all the time.
    2.It'll return my piece to its previous position and then play on like I made a accepted move.
    3.This is a beauty,it returned my piece back to its previous position, then it checked my King with its Queen, I had a legal move to block or take the Queen but the game wouldn't allow the move.

Not all pieces are subject to being returned to previous placings, weird.

P.S I have played chess for a number of years, just incase you may think i'm a newbie at chess also:)
    P.S.S And thanxs for trying to help!!

4. macrumors 6502a

ZoomZoomZoom

I've had some problems with Mac Chess too. It's been a while since I've played it (It's about 80x slower than Fritz, and still significantly weaker) but I faintly remember having issues with pieces not moving correctly.

P.S. up for an email correspondence chess game? I'm sick of playing computers =P

5. macrumors 6502

merc669

Is there a Fritz Version for the Mac??? I have not seen it yet. I have the PC Version. Thanks!

Bill

6. macrumors 6502a

smwatson

Well im stuck then. Mine works fine. Anyone else? :confused:

7. macrumors 65816

Macnoviz

I didn't have any problems with chess yet (voice is cool, but I have to say everything twice)

If anyone is still interested, I'm up too for some e-mail chess.
    my rating was abbout 1200 last time I checked, e-mail adress is
    jonathanhuyghe@mac.com

8. thread starter macrumors newbie

Mac chess

O.K new problem. This is really really weird. Had given up on Mac chess cause of the its strange behaviour but because i'm such a good sport I gave it one last go.Now the stupid thing is letting me win even on the strongest game setting. In the past I couldn't even get a look in sometimes.I like to win but this is a no brainer. I can't be the only one on this planet experiencing this!! Can anyone on planet earth help, please!!:confused:

9. macrumors 65816

Unorthodox

Maybe you just got really good really fast.
    You could try dragging the preference file to the desktop.
    Therefore forcing it to make a new one.

10. Moderator emeritus

EricNau

I wish my chess was like that. ;) :p

11. macrumors member

rishi

Hello

Even I am looking for different softwares for chess. I used to play as a kid and would like to play again after 10-15. The chess landscape seems to have changed completely !!

In the good ol days you just had a chess computer software - noow it looks quite complicated.

One thing I found - Fritz doesn't seem to be available for macintosh but another software Shredder 9 is available. Look here -

http://chesscentral.com/software/mac-chess-software.htm

I downloaded the Shredder demo for Mac and it looks like a good software. However I am looking for something where I can play out games on the computer like ChessBase Light which doesn't seem to available for Mac.

Can Fritz 9 play out both pgn and cbh formats and also offer analysis or does it happen in Chessbase ? What is the difference between a chessbase 7.0 and Fritz ?

regards

rishi

12. macrumors 68000

dextertangocci

You can set the mac chess to suicidal etc. Why not use Big Bang Board Games? Doesn't that have chess? Its incuded with the iMac, mac mini and MB's.

13. macrumors member

rishi

Shredder for Mac

Hi Guys

Sorry to bump this old thread but just one suggestion to make here.

Computers have more or less revolutionized the way professionals play chess but Macs have generally not been a part of this progress.

There are chess playing softwares like Fritz and Training softwares like ChessBase, Convekta etc but they are available only on PC's

Recently someone asked about chessbase.com for Macintosh on a Chesscafe site and this was the response.

Mig Greengard is the guy who writes a column for Chesscafe.com

Anyway , now eventually for the first time, a chess software meant for professionals has been ported to Macintosh platform. I am talking about Shredder and Deep Shredder.

From their site -
    The famous Shredder chess program by Stefan Meyer-Kahlen is now also available here for the Apple Macintosh computer. For the first time Mac users have a chance to play with the ten times World Computer Chess Champion. Shredder is available in three different versions so that every chess player with a Mac can find his appropriate chess partner. All Shredder versions for the Mac are universal binaries.

Check this site and try out their 30 days demo.

http://www.shredderchess.com/chess-software/macintosh.html

I think we should support this software as Mac users and hope that someday even Fritz becomes available on a Mac platform. It's a pain to run it in XP on my MBP.

I am not working for Shredder so this is not advertising :D

14. macrumors 6502a

ZoomZoomZoom

oooh. will be looking forward to the new program.

the mac chess program really feeds my ego. :p

15. macrumors member

rishi

I think we should all email this chap Greengard and ask him why there is no Fritz 9 for Macintosh :D