@mac.com Address Unavailable on iPhone

Discussion in 'Apple Music, Apple Pay, iCloud, Apple Services' started by JayDH, Nov 23, 2010.

1. macrumors regular

Jan 20, 2008
    I recently decided to start using my MobileMe account. Since I have had it since the .Mac days, I have a @mac.com address.

Since I updated my iPhone 4 to 4.2, I noticed that the only outgoing email address available is the @me.com address. I can still use @mac.com using Mail.app or the MobileMe website.

Anyone else notice this or have a solution? Thanks!
  2. macrumors 6502

Jun 11, 2008
    I bought my 3GS back in January. It would only work by using @me.com from day one.

I bought my iPad the first day it was released. It worked using @mac.com. However after the 4.2 update, the iPad @mac.com stopped working. I had to delete the account and switch to @me.com.

One side note, my secondary @mac.com address continued to work. This account is not used for syncing. I still deleted and went to the @me.com.

So, yes it is normal to have to use @me.com for your main iPhone settings.
  3. macrumors newbie

Jun 29, 2010
    Well, it shouldn't be normal.

I have a similar problem since the last upgrade and it's very unpleasant as I want to use only @mac.com addresses.

When the .mac services closed we were certified to be able to use our @mac.com addresses seamlessly and for as long as Apple lives.
  4. macrumors 601

Phil A.

Apr 2, 2006
    Telford, UK
    Strangely enough, I have an alias that was created before the move to mobileme, and that shows (with the @mac.com address) in the list of available sender names.
    However, the @me.com address for that alias doesn't show (but does in Mail and the MobileMe website).

I think this is a bug rather than anything deliberate
  5. macrumors regular

Dec 17, 2010
    1. Delete your MobileMe account on your iPhone.
    2. Sync the @mac.com account from your computer using iTunes.

More detail here: http://support.apple.com/kb/TS3570

It worked for me.
  6. macrumors newbie

Jun 29, 2010
    Hello scott.n,

thank you for the kb link, it sounds quite sastisfying. I'll look into it after work!