Mac comparative cost of ownership?

Discussion in 'Buying Tips and Advice' started by mccldwll, Dec 1, 2006.

1. mccldwll macrumors 65816

I know macs are cheaper than pcs when all costs are included (downtime, depreciation, etc) but I'm curious about comparative cost of owning mini ($800), iMac ($1200), mb($1200) and mbp($1800) over 3 year period (purchase and resale, intangibles aside). I'm certain mini and imac much lower (especially since applecare probably not needed), but how do they compare? How much more per year for a mbp over a mb? Has anyone seen this info anywhere? How did it look for the last generation of macs (ibooks, powerbooks, minis and G5s)? Thoughts, no flames please.

2. clevin macrumors G3

clevin

your question sounds like a very comprehensive one, I guess u need professional research to answer those, such as downtime, resale market, etc, etc, etc.

3. crees! macrumors 68000

crees!

Not sure about any of that but I've had my Powerbook for 3 years and plan on holding off for 2 more years until I upgrade to a new machine. I still plan on keeping and using my Powerbook too.

4. yellow Moderator emeritus

yellow

What sorts of costs? Power consumption? Repairs? Softwares? :confused:

I guess I don't get it. The resale market is in a bit of turmoil right now because the Intel-based Macs are relatively new in comparison to the PPC market, so I think there's a flux in how much a resale unit might cost, plus the Intel-based Macs aren't OLD enough to truely be EOL'd yet for resale & upgrade.

5. mccldwll thread starter macrumors 65816

Just wondering if such info was listed anywhere. Sounds like no. As far as the type of costs, not talking about software, repairs, energy, opportunity cost of $. Mostly just thinking roughly about depreciation (difference between what you pay and what you might expect to sell it for later). For instance, if originally an ibook was $1200 and powerbook $1800, and now ibook worth $600 and powerbook $900, the ownership cost was $600 for ibook and $900 for powerbook. Instead of looking at a powerbook costing $600 more, you look at it costing $300 more for that ownership period (assuming numbers ok). I know this is simplistic, and that switch to merom and upcoming chips affects this, but has anyone played with such numbers?

6. yellow Moderator emeritus

yellow

I don't think such numbers exist (or at least, I've never seen one) and as I said, those numbers would currently be in flux, as there's no MacTels yet that have truely "aged out".

7. airkarol macrumors 6502

Cost for repairs doesn't really exist.. Applecare covers it all for the first year, just add $349 to the price, giving you 3 years of coverage.

8. clevin macrumors G3

clevin

thats $349 for 3 years, not "doesn't really exist"

9. emptyCup macrumors 65816

emptyCup

I managed computers at an institution that had thousands of Mac's and PC's (each). The Mac's typically lasted twice as long and needed much less repair (1 Mac tech vs. 8-12 PC people). However, if you are only planning to keep your machine for 3 years then you are really only talking about the cost of the basic machine + 3 year warrantee + virus/ad blockers for a PC + resale value.

When you get right down to it, this type of calculation does not make sense for one personal machine. Buy whatever will give you the most pleasure within your budget and enjoy. Best wishes.

10. FFTT macrumors 68030

FFTT

Other things to consider,

What value do you put on security and peace of mind?
    What about the general increase in productivity and the quality of your work
    and your daily working experience?
    Knowing where things are and how to keep them organized?
    And what about versatility, that allows you to run any software?

Oh and "One more thing" many IT buyers tend to overlook,
    is how many new Macs they could afford to purchase with one less IT support employee on the payroll. ;)

11. airkarol macrumors 6502

When I had an HP laptop, it was still in warranty, but I was still charged for repairs that should've been covered.

12. clevin macrumors G3

clevin

errrr... are we talking about apple here? and how exactly does what you said makes $349 of apple's fee "not exist"?

13. mccldwll thread starter macrumors 65816

Clarification: I would never consider a PC over a mac. Where I'm coming from relates to one of responses above--buying what you really would like vs. buying what you can get by with. I'm sure many would prefer to have the 15" mbp but have the mb because couldn't justify the $600 price difference. If the difference becomes $300 over the ownership period (using numbers from above) the calculus may change. If the hypothetical period is two years, that's only $3/wk more for the mbp. It could change the decision for some since can now rationalize the extra for something which might bring greater satisfaction even if not greater utility.

14. yellow Moderator emeritus

yellow

I guess anyone can rationalize anything if you break it down far enough. :)