Mac compatiable mp3 players

Discussion in 'Community' started by maverickuk, Feb 24, 2005.

1. maverickuk macrumors member

Apr 13, 2004
    Are there any?

Other than the ibrick? :rolleyes:

I really wanted the Sony HD3, only to discover it does not support the mac.

Now Im a little stuck as I dont know any other that offer mac support. :mad:

Any advice?
  2. stubeeef macrumors 68030

Aug 10, 2004
    Kinda like asking, "Any good Heavy Drag devices for my slick fast jet?"
  3. gwuMACaddict macrumors 68040

Apr 21, 2003
    washington dc

stubeef, that had me just about on the floor laughing...

try an iPod shuffle, dude
  4. maverickuk thread starter macrumors member

Apr 13, 2004
    Ipod shuffle is too small (storage size).

Mac support doesnt seem to be getting any better really.

Times like this I miss my good old PC, I feel like im in denial sometimes and keep telling myself this Mac was a good purchase as right now I just feel like selling it and reverting back.
  5. stubeeef macrumors 68030

Aug 10, 2004
    what is it that you would want between a shuffle and a mini? both of which are PC supported too! Infact I would venture their are more PC iPod'rs than Apple ones.
  6. CrackedButter macrumors 68040

Jan 15, 2003
    51st State of America
    Last time I had a non apple mp3 player. All it took on a mac, was to open up the finder and drag the files to the device. If thats still how it works, then just get one that will show up as an external device.

That to me is the "mac support". :)
  7. maverickuk thread starter macrumors member

Apr 13, 2004
    Ipods are more a fashion accesory, they have sold so many due to the huge amount of advertising not because the product is actually the best.

I dont dislike the ipod, I had a 3rd gen 40 gig iPod but it was just too big and too heavy.

My main problem is that I can spend X amount of money on an ipod, but I know there are other brands at the same price that are smaller, lighter, more memory etc etc.

Though at this rate it seems I either have to a) Purchase an iPod or b) sell my mac and buy a PC.

Though my Powerbook G4 looks great and performs great I just dont like being forced to buy Mac hardware because nobody else will support them.

I wanted to buy a webcam which range from £10 - £100 yet I have to buy the extremely overpriced iSight and have no choice what so ever.

Now the same problem when coming to buy a new mp3 player.

I know some of you wont hear a bad thing about Apple and think all their products are better than everything else, but Im sure there are others out there who will understand where Im coming from
  8. gwuMACaddict macrumors 68040

Apr 21, 2003
    washington dc
    i wanna see links to these 'smaller, better' mp3 players... :rolleyes:
  9. maverickuk thread starter macrumors member

Apr 13, 2004
    If I could do that, it would be fine, wonder how I find out if the Sony HD3 would allow for this.
  10. maverickuk thread starter macrumors member

Apr 13, 2004
  11. jayb2000 macrumors 6502a

Apr 18, 2003
    RI -> CA -> ME
    Any hardware will do...

What is the X amount you want to spend? Especially with the new releases and price drops, the iPods are the cheapest 512 and 1gig flash players, the 4gig is cheaper than Dell or Gateway, the 6 gig is the same price, but has more storage.
    Anything by Zen or Dell or whoever in the 20-60gig range is bigger than the iPod and weighs more. While music bought from the iTunes store would not be compatible with other players, as long as you import your CDs into iTunes as MP3s, really any player should work, as far as I know.

If you know "there are other brands at the same price that are smaller, lighter, more memory etc etc" then by all means try them, but go to the store and try the interfaces. Nothing I have found is as powerful as the iPod. Some have scroll buttons or logs, but they are fixed, not able to accelarate as the iPod does. Maybe for 1000 songs its not as much of an issue, but with 30 gig, I find it indespensible.

As for webcams, on the off chance that whatever you buy does not work right away, you can always try a driver -
    But from what I have heard, any USB cam will work. Also, if you want to spend £10-£100, the iSight is £99.01.
  12. Veldek macrumors 68000

Mar 29, 2003
    There are a lot of webcams out there, even Apple sells others than the iSight. And you tell us you weren't able to find one?
  13. gwuMACaddict macrumors 68040

Apr 21, 2003
    washington dc
    i'm always so freaking amazed at what other companies claim for battery life and song ammounts that their players can hold.

have these other companies worked fuel cells in to their devices instead of batteries? give me a break... and 20,000 songs for 20gig player... right... at like 8k a song?

i know you were complaining about the iPod being fashonable... thats because it works well and has a beautiful and logical interface.

i guess you're not gonna sway me on this one... :p
  14. maverickuk thread starter macrumors member

Apr 13, 2004
    I was watching a program a few months ago, they were rating the ipod against other brands, I think it come 6th out of 10.

There are other players out there better than the ipod, whether or not they support the mac or not is another thing.

I will buy what mp3 player magazine tonight for some unbiased advice.

While mac rumours is the ultimate mac site and great for any mac related questions I guess its not the best place to ask this sort of question.

Mac users generally are Mac finatics and that I beleive blinds them to the fact there are better players which much better battery life.
  15. jayb2000 macrumors 6502a

Apr 18, 2003
    RI -> CA -> ME

Actually the zen micro is a 5 gig drive for 249.99 at best buy. The iPod mini is 6 gig at the same price. As for size:
    iPod mini - 3.6 x 2.0 x 0.5 and 3.6 ounces
    Zen micro 3.3 x 2.0 x 0.7 and 3.8 ounces

So the iPod mini is narrower, but taller and weighs less and has more capacity for the same price.

And for the Sony, its a 20 gig drive for $349, which gets you a 30 gig drive and color and photo capability with the iPod. Or you could spend $299 and get a 20gig iPod, or even less if you get one from the apple deals pages.
    Apple 30gig photo - 4.1 x 2.4 x 0.63 and 5.9 ounces
    Sony 20gig - 3.5 x 2.44 x .58 and 4.59oz

So yes, the iPod is bigger, but it is also more capable and a bigger drive.
    If you thingk 50% less disk space, no color, no photo capabilities, no calander or disk use is worth the 1.3 ounce difference, then go for it. But that mostly seems like spite. And even c|Net gives the Sony a 7.3 compared to a 9.0 for the iPod.
  16. stubeeef macrumors 68030

Aug 10, 2004
    gonna post and run, crap to do, but what has been the Napster "success" rate so far on their new model?

maverickuk, While most here will trumpet Apple, as you say, I'm guessing you can find some of its toughest critics here too. but what do you expect at a MacRumors site?
    Plenty of PC sites with bitchers and moaners too. Apple is not the perfect platform, but the best one for most here, for now!
    I have found that almost everything I want to buy (limited I will admit) will work on my PowerBook. Find the apple employee at the Apple Store, or a local CompUSA, ask him/her about any specific product questions.
    PC's always seem to need the crappy free software with many products, while I may buy the product, and it may have free crappy MacOSX software, I usually try it out first without the software to see if I even need to load it. Often I don't, Often it doesn't come with the free crappy software for OSX but the product works great on my system WITHOUT IT.
    Take you laptop to a computer store and try the product you want first, I imagine some will let you.
    Good luck in finding your heavy drag device!
  17. Applespider macrumors G4

Jan 20, 2004
    looking through rose-tinted spectacles...
    I have a friend who has a Creative Zen player that he's quite happy with although he uses it via Musicmatch on his PC. I believe GB for GB it's very slightly cheaper (or was then) but on the few occasions that I've used it, I've found it tougher to navigate than my iPod (that could be familiarity).

The guy who sits alongside me in the office had an Archos jukebox but has recently traded it in for an iPod - again, he cited ease of use as his collection got bigger as the reason.

As far as I know, you can drag your music files from the Finder onto the mounted MP3 player (I'm not sure if you can do it direct from iTunes). The Sonys don't (didn't) work on Macs for a while because Sony converted everything to ATRAC format rather than using MP3s and they didn't provide a method for Macs to convert things to ATRAC. I'm not sure if this is still the case.

The iPod doesn't always come top in surveys. If the reviewers are looking at built-in non-music functionality (video playback, voice recording, FM radios, memory card capability) then the iPod will always be marked down since those are only available as extra rather than being built-in. If you need any of that functionality on a regular basis, it might be that one of those other players would suit you better.

The iPod does come top of the sales charts. Things don't have to be bad just because they're popular/fashionable. The iPod's popularity is not just because of advertising (who wants to be a silhouette?) but because they are easy to use and don't make people feel stupid.
  18. mad jew Moderator emeritus

mad jew

Apr 3, 2004
    Adelaide, Australia
    Come on people. Maverickuk wants an mp3 player other-than-the-iPod. I don't understand either, but it's not ours to question why...

From my experience, dragging files to the disk image on your desktop is perfectly adequate. It's not as neat as iTunes, but it's still pretty neat all things considered. :)
  19. angelneo macrumors 68000

Jun 13, 2004
    I thought Sony is also well-known for being over-priced and some people who buy them also buy them because they are stylish and for their brand? or am I wrong?
  20. geese macrumors 6502a

Oct 23, 2003
    London, UK
    More PC peripherals work on the mac then you think, even if it doesnt say so on the box.

I bought a £15 bluetooth adaptor last year, and it worked fine on my mac. I cant imagine finding a cheapo webcame will be too difficult.

Although your quest to find a non apple iPod is puzzling, I find. Check out the new iPod minis. There isnt a smaller HD based player, and its cheaper then the competition! 4gb mini for £130? 6gb for £160? Is there really a more compelling option?

Read Stuff and T3 magazine. They regularly do group MP3 player reviews, they always say that the iPod has the best interface, even if they think that others offer better value for money (which with the updates, isn't true anymore in my opinion).

I am curious about the iRiver one, you know the one with the colour screen and the black casing. Its about twice the size of a normal iPod, but it is cheap and i've read that it is drag'n'drop compatible with the Mac (as long as you dont use AAC files
  21. apple2991 macrumors 6502

May 20, 2004
    We're not questioning his religion, here. This is something that one should be able to explain. Also, I think people were questioning more his statements rather than his belief. Read:

I think everyone here would like to know where these revolutionary, "better than the iPod" mp3 players are. You may consider iPods fashionable, but disliking something because it's fashionable and you want to feel different is just as hip (see: Avril Lavigne).

Unless you desire a very specific type of playback from your mp3 player, or just really, REALLY love listening to crappy local radio, what are the disadvantages of the iPod? Maverickuk sounds like he wants to make an informed product decision here, so let's look at the issues.

Does the buzz surrounding the iPod help it become even MORE popular? Undoubtedly. But look at where the buzz is coming from--it's not a market where tricky commercials and product placement make or break your product. It helps, but it works a little differently than the latest Nike kicks. The iPod has buzz, simply, because it is the best.
  22. mgargan1 macrumors 65816

Feb 22, 2003
    Reston, VA
    what i think it was, was when maverickuk called it the iBrick, people got defensive. If maverickuk would have said, I'm looking for a mac compatible mp3 player, besides the ipod (just not my thing)... then I don;t think he would have gotten flammed. So, give him the benefit of the doubt, and help him out like mad jew said.

As far as my knowledge... there isn't a really good mp3 player for the mac, other than the ipod. Sorry man
  23. Mechcozmo macrumors 603

Jul 17, 2004
    Do a search. Someone asked this question a while back and there was some good advice there, as well as a link to Apple's site (I think).

SEARCH! :)
  24. dejo Moderator

Staff Member

Sep 2, 2004
    The Centennial State
    I agree. Search. I did and all of thirty seconds later, came up with this:

iTunes 4 for Mac OS X: Compatible Players