Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

radiant

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Dec 5, 2005
Northern Ireland
Hello,

I'm a PC user, I last used a Mac about 14 years ago in school! I am wanting to buy a new laptop and am interested in considering a powerbook G4. Needless to say, I am a little concerned about the compatibility of the Mac compared to a PC.

I understand the Mac needs Mac-specific versions of software, but in terms of hardware like a USB mouse, memory sticks, etc....can you pretty much plug anything into a Mac that you can plug into a PC?

And is it easy enough to connect a Mac to a PC network? I'd want to use the wirless card in the powerbook to do this - is this a problem?

As you can see - in the words of Manuel from Faulty Towers: "I know nothing!" and any help would be very grateful! :)

Eidorian

macrumors Penryn
Mar 23, 2005
Indianapolis
radiant said:
Hello,

I'm a PC user, I last used a Mac about 14 years ago in school! I am wanting to buy a new laptop and am interested in considering a powerbook G4. Needless to say, I am a little concerned about the compatibility of the Mac compared to a PC.

I understand the Mac needs Mac-specific versions of software, but in terms of hardware like a USB mouse, memory sticks, etc....can you pretty much plug anything into a Mac that you can plug into a PC?

And is it easy enough to connect a Mac to a PC network? I'd want to use the wirless card in the powerbook to do this - is this a problem?

As you can see - in the words of Manuel from Faulty Towers: "I know nothing!" and any help would be very grateful! :)
Yeah, I plug in USB devices all the time to my Mac. Input devices have the highest compatibility. Is there any device specifically that you're worried about? What kind of PowerBook do you plan on buying?

mad jew

Moderator emeritus
Apr 3, 2004
Adelaide, Australia
Welcome back. :)

Almost all mouses (erm, mice seems kinda wrong) and USB keys will work with OSX however it's usually a good idea to check that they're supported first. Quite often unsupported devices still work although it's more of a hassle if something goes wrong.

As for the network, the AirPort Extreme card that comes inbuilt in the PowerBook abides by the 802.11B and 802.11G standards meaning that it'll hop onto wireless networks easily. Actually networking the two platforms is also pretty easy. :)

Just remember that as with any new laptop, you'll want as much hard drive space as you can afford, followed closely by as much RAM (it's cheaper if you go through a third party rather than Apple) as possible.

Eidorian

macrumors Penryn
Mar 23, 2005
Indianapolis
radiant said:
Thanks for your comments.

Was considering getting this one:

http://store.apple.com/Apple/WebObjects/ukstore?productLearnMore=F9690

Theres no specific device im concerned about, I just didnt want to find out I had to buy Mac-specific hardwear when I already own PC compatible stuff.

Mad jew - are there any 3rd party retailers you would recommend?

Yeah, I carried over most of my PC hardware when I switched to the Mac. The only issue I had was with a Logitech Webcam. They don't support the Mac. I'll just wait until I get my next Mac to get one with an iSight. :D

Chundles

macrumors G5
Jul 4, 2005
Here at my parent's place it's 2 PC desktops and 3 PC laptops all on the house network either wirelessly or wired. I come home, open my iBook (no need to turn it on, it's already on, just sleeping) and start using Safari.

There is no lag between opening the iBook and connecting to the net, it just found the network and went online. No need to change connection settings for Mail or anything, OS X recognises the strongest signal and uses it.

All my 3rd party stuff works, although I'd recommend an Apple keyboard if you are looking at using an external one. That way you get all the mac keys for shortcuts, ejecting disks, changing the volume etc.

stevep

macrumors 6502a
Oct 13, 2004
UK
radiant said:
Think of it as a TCP/IP network - anything that understands TCP/IP can join the network - Mac OS X, Linux, even Windows! ;)

devilot

Moderator emeritus
May 1, 2005
Chundles said:
There is no lag between opening the iBook and connecting to the net, it just found the network and went online. No need to change connection settings for Mail or anything, OS X recognises the strongest signal and uses it.
True story. Late night/early Saturday morning (around 2:30AM) my boyfriend and I were starving but we didn't know if this one particular coffee shop was open or not. We 'raced' my iBook vs. his HP laptop-- both computers were in sleep mode; I was literally browsing on Camino (an internet browswer) before his account sign in window had appeared! :eek: :D
Chundles said:
All my 3rd party stuff works, although I'd recommend an Apple keyboard if you are looking at using an external one. That way you get all the mac keys for shortcuts, ejecting disks, changing the volume etc.
That's a great suggestion.

Eidorian

macrumors Penryn
Mar 23, 2005
Indianapolis
Chundles said:

I second that awakening from sleep. It's lighting fast. I lock my screen and my connections are back up and running before I can finish typing my password in to unlock it. That and a 30 second cold boot isn't anything to laugh at. :cool:

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.