Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

H0M3R

macrumors member
Original poster
Oct 16, 2007
Howdy fellow gamers,

Are there any wired or wireless gaming headsets out with either 5.1 or 7.1 that work on OS X? I am currently using an old Plantronics USB headset and would like something that is better supported under OS X. At least something that has basic equalizer support.

Thanks.

Wardenski

macrumors 6502
Jan 22, 2012
Even if games did support 5.1 its would be difficult to get surround sound to work in OSX.

You would need a Mac compatible sound card that could output the 5 discrete RCA type channels or a Mac compatible sound card that could output DD encoded signal via optical.

There is a program called Jack that can use the CPU to encode via optical but I never got it to work for my games.

Then again this is about separate speakers rather than headsets which I am unfamiliar with except from a stereo point of view.

Jaguarxl

macrumors member
Nov 29, 2012
Brazil
Try PS3 wireless headset. It's 5.1 and don't need any driver. The USB dongle does all the work for you. I have one and works perfectly on games.

CJM

macrumors 68000
May 7, 2005
U.K.
You're best off using a USB-style headset where all the sound processing is done on the device. I'm sure there's one compatible with a Mac. Otherwise a USB DAC of some kind might do the trick.

edddeduck

macrumors 68020
Mar 26, 2004
IF you get all the right hardware most of our games (feral Interactive) will respect 5.1 surround sound. It is not heavily tested but when the game has 3D sound we hook up the libraries for the few people who have the hardware.

I think insidemacgames has a big forum post on what games work and what don't.

Edwin

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.