Mac Connection Reconditioned Computers

Discussion in 'Buying Tips and Advice' started by weeag, Jan 20, 2006.

1. weeag macrumors regular

Anyone know if Mac Connection sells good 'reconditioned' macs? And would an AppleCare policy be good on it?

2. dwd3885 macrumors 68020

NEVER buy reconditioned macs. New is always better, poney up and pay the extra cash

3. ChrisA macrumors G4

Apple's "refurb" program is good.

No, I disagre. Apple's on-line store sells "refurbished" macs. These are machines that for some reason were returned. takes them apart, tests the parts replaces whatever is required and you can't tell them from new. They also offer the same warenty and you can buy the 3 year apple care warrenty too if you want it. I bought a Mini for $380 from the apple.com store

4. weeag thread starter macrumors regular

And what about buying the AppleCare policy with a refurbbed machine from another vendor?

5. T-Stex macrumors 6502

I'd also say that looking into Apple's refurbished products isn't a bad idea at all. You can get the Applecare plan, and end up paying quite a bit less for a great computer with a great protection plan. I've really only heard good things about buying from them, although I haven't done it myself.

6. dwd3885 macrumors 68020

i would do it, but my TWO previous power mac purchases via apple refurb crapped out quickly and thus i went with NEW

7. weeag thread starter macrumors regular

I repeat the question above...

8. York-Diuck macrumors member

York-Diuck

Well that sucks, but generally, refurbished macs are new mac's that had an problem or two when they were purchased and returned to correct the issues. So going on that, you could buy a new mac and still get a lemon, it doesn't really matter whether it was new or not:( Sucks that apple shafted you on your two refurbs though.

9. dr427 macrumors regular

dr427

I asked my local apple store what happens to all the last generation G5 iMacs. He said they are in the back and can be sold as "Refreshed". You just have to ask about them.

I am not sure if this is limited to floor models or if anything old even sealed is called "Refreshed".

10. allisonv7 macrumors 6502

I'm kindof in the same position, I'm looking to buy a used ibook, but after doing some research I think I'm going to pay a little bit extra and get it refurb from the Apple Store.

If I understand it right it is still under the regular one-year warranty that a new computer from Apple would have an then you can still buy the Applecare within the first year (correct me if I'm wrong please!)

allison.

11. jadekitty24 macrumors 65816

jadekitty24

You are absolutely correct. I just bought a refurbed Powerbook and you really could not tell it is a refurb. It looks and feels brand new. This enabled me to obtain the computer I always wanted but thought I'd never be able to afford.