Mac consulting

Discussion in 'General Mac Discussion' started by rdhatfield3, Dec 26, 2004.

1. rdhatfield3 macrumors member

I'm interested in starting a mac consulting business in my area. I would help with troubleshooting and initial setup and maintenance. If anyone has any experience in this field i would appreciate some insight into pricing and any thing else deemed important.

2. varmit macrumors 68000

varmit

Have you ever done consulting before? Have you ever setup and ran a full Mac network (mac clients connected to a OS X server, setting up mail and web servers)? I would work on the skill set first before offering your services. Plus, there isn't a demand for just Mac counsultants, but over all computer counsultants you can make a killing. Fixing PCs for a company for some time can help you get them the see that they would be better off with another type of computer, that is if all their programs/similar programs are on the Mac.

3. Anonymous Freak macrumors 601

Anonymous Freak

How professional do you want to be?

If you just want to be a small single-person operation running out of your home as a sole proprietorship, with no real 'business' presence, then I'd say $30-$50 an hour.

If you are going to start a 'real' company, do advertising (Yellow Pages is your friend,) and drive a reasonably decent-quality car with the company name on the side, you can get $75-$100 an hour.

But, I run a computer consulting company, and I get less than five Mac jobs a month. (And I employ three full-time technicians.) In Portland, Oregon, where the Mac has a higher-than-average market penetration. If you want to make money, learn to remove Spyware from Windows machines...

4. Daveway macrumors 68040

Daveway

5. varmit macrumors 68000

varmit

Is this how you started your company, using the Yellow Pages? I started doing consulting for a company as my first gig, but they are now talking about signing me since my job is about up, which will get me healthcare and all, to work on some of the other systems. Spyware is the number one thing that people call on you to fix, and sometimes the only thing you need to do to fix a person's computer problem.