Mac Control/Security Programs - Thoughts?

Discussion in 'Mac Apps and Mac App Store' started by ~Shard~, Apr 26, 2006.

1. ~Shard~ macrumors P6

~Shard~

I had posted a similar thread dealing with this subject already, however I think it got buried under the tidal wave that was the Boot Camp announcement. :eek: ;) Since no one saw it, I thought I would bring it up again. :)

Basically, to summarize my earlier thread, my brother works for Faronics, a company which develops utilities for security and control of multi-user computing environments. (They target schools, government, healthcare organizations, libraries, etc.) One of their main programs which was just reviewed by MacWorld is Deep Freeze.

Anyway, my brother actually just took on a new position - Product Manager for their Mac development shop! :D

He's very excited to be working on the Mac side of things, being an avid Mac user himself, and asked me the other day if I had any ideas for enhancements they could make to their existing Mac offerings, or any new solutions they could develop which play in the security, system control, etc. space.

So, I thought what better way to get some quality ideas than ask my fellow colleagues here on MacRumors for their input! :)

If you have any ideas of programs of this nature which you would like to see or that you think would be cool, please share your thoughts with me - I'd really appreciate it. Or, perhaps there are freeware applications out there which you use for similar functions, but would like to see more professional, robust, feature-rich versions of. Just let me know and I'll pass along any feedback to my brother.

Thanks in advance for any comments/suggestions you may have. It's great being part of a community like MacRumors which has such a wide knowledge base to draw on, and I think in a situation like this it's great, because your suggestions, requests, etc. can get passed on to someone who can listen and potentially act on them. :cool:

2. jeremy.king macrumors 603

jeremy.king

Too lazy to google if this already exists...probably already does.

How about software that would allow a teacher/lab supervisor see the screen of every computer in a lab? Basically, a way to monitor student "research" without having to look over their shoulders.

3. gauchogolfer macrumors 603

gauchogolfer

I think that Apple Remote Desktop does this, actually. But competition is always a good thing :).

What about something to address the Terminal script disguised as an innocuous file/image issue that arose a while back? If you could have a warning when Terminal wanted to open after clicking on a file, that might qualify as a security solution.

4. jeremy.king macrumors 603

jeremy.king

I'm not very smart this morning...this is just what I was thinking. they even support VNC enabled machines.

http://www.apple.com/remotedesktop/remoteassistance.html

5. ~Shard~ thread starter macrumors P6

~Shard~

Yeah, it is definitely a powerful app. :)

And thanks for the suggestion gauchogolfer, that's not a bad idea. Something small, simple, yet quite useful, especially if this is only the start of these "Mac attacks"... ;) :cool:

6. robbieduncan Moderator emeritus

robbieduncan

I wrote a small app called TimeWaster (see my sig) in response to a post on these forums. Since I have released it I have received a few emails from people who manage 10s to 100s of Macs (schools and businesses) who would like to see this app (or something like it) with more functionality:
    1) Daemon mode: Ability to run in the background without the UI and log the app usage to a file.
    2) Persistance: Similar to above: keep the app usage data between app sessions, would be fixed with Daemon mode.
    3) Window title grabbing: In addition to logging which app is in use grab the title of the window the user is working on. This may be very difficult for things like web browsers where the title changes frequently
    4) Network mode: If all the machines are running Daemon mode then you should be able to start the front end on one machine and see the data from all the other machines (password protected probably).

The source is available if you want to see how my version works. I started work on some of the above wishes but got distracted by other projects!

7. ~Shard~ thread starter macrumors P6

~Shard~

Very cool robbieduncan, thanks. Yeah, I could see some of that additional functionality being useful for some people. Let me know if you ever decide to work on them some more! In the meantime I'll check out your program and give it a try myself... :)

8. robbieduncan Moderator emeritus

robbieduncan

If your Brothers company want to take the idea and run with it they are more than welcome to! I would love to get back to it someday but there are so few hours in the day!

9. ~Shard~ thread starter macrumors P6

~Shard~

Thanks for the offer! I'll definitely be passing along some of this feedback to him. As I said in my initial post, it's cool because in his position he might actually be able to do something about it! ;) :)