Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

princealfie

macrumors 68030
Original poster
Mar 7, 2006
Salt Lake City UT
I figured that we all love a good story in fact. So why not your conversion to Mac if you were a PC user (dominant)?

Anyways back in the 1980's I used Macs. I remember that Mac II back in 1983-4 in elementary school and well, Macs were everywhere in educational environment. I really loved it back then playing all those fun games and what now. And programming in LOGO too. Geewhiz isn't that old?

Then my next period of Mac use was during the mid-to-late 1990's when I used the last of the 68080 Motorola based Macs. I didn't like them much. In fact, the Powerbook based on those chips weren't very user friendly and Mac OS 8 I despised with the "poor" interface. I really got into Windows and really loved Windows 98. In fact, even using the Powermac G3 wasn't impressive until I realized how much more efficiently it ran code. However, Mac OS 9 wasn't my style at all and still isn't.

Finally, I became a true Mac convert about 4 years ago. I hated Windows XP due to the slowness of the system and really despise all the RAM performance which was poor. One day my friend Eric sent me his beat-up old school tangerine iBook with a fallen out CD bezel and cracked top handrest. I really loved the design but still hated the OS 9 stuff. Then I went and got a copy of Panther later on and installed it and well that's changed everything. I love Mac OS X!

Conclusion, about 5 Mac laptops later and plus my souped up Powermac G3 (good memories during grad school in Purdue, Yale didn't use Macs yuck) at home, I am a more than happy, comfortable Mac convert.

Do any of ya have a front line conversion story?

bursty

macrumors 65816
Jan 31, 2004
Cool story :)

For me, I grew up around Windows and always hated it. It became a yearly task to upgrade my $499 Dell with the newest $499 Dell. I have a stockpile of crappy Dells in my basement that are so bogged down with virii and spyware. One day, I got so fed up with how slow W98 was running, I got on the Apple website and ordered a PowerBook on a wim. I had never used OSX, never seen a Mac, never touched one. I got it a week later and the rest is history. :D

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.