Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MorganX

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Jan 20, 2003
Midwest
Is there a good diagramming app comparable to Visio? Primarily for network diagramming? Any info appreciated.

jrichardcmu

macrumors newbie
Feb 19, 2003
omni graffle

You should already have a trial version in your applications folder. Checkout http://www.omnigroup.com/ for details. One of my new favorite programs in omni outliner (which can import xml to omni graffle).

MorganX

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Jan 20, 2003
Midwest
Re: omni graffle

Originally posted by jrichardcmu
You should already have a trial version in your applications folder. Checkout http://www.omnigroup.com/ for details. One of my new favorite programs in omni outliner (which can import xml to omni graffle).

Thanks,

I did not have a trial version on my iMac. I did visit the site and download the trial.

Quite a bit slower than Visio and in general smaller. Much smaller pallettes (stencils).

But, if I can find the pallettes I need, I actually believe with the clean, straighforward UI, and superior connectors (really sweet). I can actually be more productive, and creative with Omni Graffle. As slow as it is, I don't know how it will do on larger diagrams. I won't miss some of the advanced features of Visio because I don't use really use them or can do without.

At $60 I'll give it a shot at home. I'll grit my teeth at the lack of right mouse button functionality, but I do that every time I use OS X and can't arrange a window by right-clicking in it.

Thanks for the tip, this app is worth it and I hope they continue upgrading it and add a much large pallette gallery. I always feel like I'm settling for less on the Mac platform. I believe this is due to the smaller market. This app would sell like gangbusters on the PC. Much friendlier, prettier and in some ways superior to Visio. And that's just from a half-hour with the trial.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.