Mac Cracker

Discussion in 'Community' started by Wardofsky, Jan 27, 2003.

1. Wardofsky macrumors 65816

Aug 6, 2002
    2 things.

In SJ: The Journey Is The Reward, they create the very first Mac, they say that the Mac team signed their names into the plastic shell of the Mac and that would be in every other Mac created, would this apply to the Mac SE?

I'm told to get a Mac open I need a Mac cracker, where can I find one?

I gotta stop using Bold to define things.
  2. iAlan macrumors 65816

Dec 11, 2002
    As per Wordofsky's sig..he most definately has been on the vodka before he made this post!!

I think he is 'crackers'
  3. noht* macrumors member

Jul 22, 2002
    * hidden between worlds
    afaik, that applies only to the original mac (128k, maybe the 512k, too)...but i might be wrong
    and regarding the mac cracker: those things are commonly called screwdrivers. i guess you gonna need a philips-style for the SE.
  4. krossfyter macrumors 601

Jan 13, 2002
    secret city

ah that would explain it.
  5. Nipsy macrumors 65816

Jan 19, 2002
    Actually, they're called Torx drivers, and you'll need a very long one to open the Compact case.

There are two Torx bolts inside of the handle enclave, and regular drivers aren't long enough.
  6. lmasanti macrumors newbie

Aug 27, 2002
    Buenos Aires, Argentina
    1) I think that only the light brown Mac had the signatures on its case. (My first Mac was a 512k, bought in October 12th, 1985)

2) Along with the long screwdrivers you´ll need what was called the "cracker" (or something along that name) that was a special wrench that has to be put into the narrow canal that separated the front from the back. The case was so tightly made that it was difficult to open.

3) If I´m not wrong, you can see an open case in Apple's HQ at Cupertino. The Apple Museum has one.

It is almost a joke: You go by an aisle and find a sign: "Apple Museum". Then, you see an Apple I, an Apple II, a Lisa, the first Macintosh... As Neil Amstrong said: "A small step for a man... a giant step for mankind. In this aisle there is more innovation that in the whole M$ campus. (Personal opinion)
  7. Wardofsky thread starter macrumors 65816

Aug 6, 2002
    I'm only crackers because I think different.
    And I don't think I'll make it to the museum any time fast because I'm in Australia.