Mac + DELL pocket DJ? Why wont it work? + Yahoo music unlimited

Discussion in 'macOS' started by flitcher, Oct 1, 2005.

1. flitcher macrumors newbie

I got a Dell pocket DJ to use Yahoo's unlimited service (i'm using my roommates windows for this). Anyway, how can I get Tiger to recognize the DJ when I plug it in? I downloaded a program called XNJB, and it worked at first, that is until I had to upgrade the DJ's firmware inorder to work with yahoo unlimited.

Secondly, besides VirtualPC, is there some other program that will let me run single windows applications, without having to install the windows environment? I heard of opendarwin, but will that work? Basically, all i want to be able to do is run Yahoo's unlimited software on my Mac, or is this too farfetched? :(

2. jeremy.king macrumors 603

jeremy.king

I would guess this has something to do with it. :rolleyes:

3. Fukui macrumors 68000

Fukui

Opendarwin's not gonna happen until the Intel Macs start shipping next year.

VPC is the only thing I can recommend right now.
    If you use VPC I would recommend win2000, its pretty fast and lean compared to winxp...

Not to suggest, but if I were you, I'd just sell it and get a nano... but thats just me... its a shame other stores don't come out for the mac, but its only because microsoft doesn't support DRM-protected windows media on anything but windows...

4. flitcher thread starter macrumors newbie

Oh.. no really? jeeze i had no freaking idea. why even post dude?

Fukui, thank you for your comments. I would get the nano but like you said, its not compatible with Yahoo's service. Do you know of any program that would allow the Dell DJ to show up on my computer? thanks.

5. BakedBeans macrumors 68040

BakedBeans

probably because its true, that crap doesnt play nice, why **** about with that crap? just get a nano or something, im sure there is some sucker out there that wants a dellpod thing

6. jeremy.king macrumors 603

jeremy.king

If you already knew, why post dude? :rolleyes:

You best option is get a cheap PC and use that for you music or get yourself an iPod and enjoy your mac...

7. jeremy.king macrumors 603

jeremy.king

Oh and yes...I think the System Requirements says is all...

* Microsoft Windows XP or 2000
    * Internet Explorer 6.0+
    * Windows Media Player 9.0 or higher
    * Pentium III 300 MHz processor
    * 128MB RAM
    * Broadband connection for streaming and buying music
    * Latest Windows Service Packs

8. DaftUnion macrumors 6502a

DaftUnion

Not just the Yahoo music unlimited but Napster or any of that Microsoft DRM stuff isn't going to work with mac period. I'm pretty sure Microsoft doesn't even make a windows media player that supports this DRM stuff on mac...maybe if your buying individual songs like iTunes, but none of the subscription stuff. As somebody said before...just buy a windows pc, or use virtual pc, that's the only two options you have.

9. illegalprelude macrumors 68000

illegalprelude

what it comes down to is that those units wont work with your Mac.

I didnt want to buy the iPod Mini. Sony had a 20GB unit that I really wanted. BUT, I also had all my music organized via iTunes and I wasnt sure what software sony's unit would come with. So, I ended up going with the iPod Mini.

10. Nermal Moderator

Nermal

Staff Member

Those requirements are pretty low, so it should run under Virtual PC. However, I don't know whether VPC will be able to access the Dell hardware.

Can you import your Yahoo music into iTunes and synch with the Dell?

11. Fukui macrumors 68000

Fukui

It should, it just connects through USB.

I don't know where to find something to recognize your dell with your iTunes, but maybe a solution is just a google away...

If you already go VPC, just use it, I think thats the approach with lowest 'friction' if you wanna use Yahoo.

12. Nermal Moderator

Nermal

Staff Member

Do music players use some sort of standard interface, or are they all different? Can iTunes still connect to third-party players or did they remove that support when the iPod came out?

13. Fukui macrumors 68000

Fukui

I think there may be, but most don't use it.

14. jeremy.king macrumors 603

jeremy.king

Guys,

Don't try to mislead - it doesn't help. The Dell players aren't compatible with iTunes. The Yahoo! songs use a WMP DRM so iTunes is useless...The OP will need to use VPC or get a cheap PC to be able to use Yahoo!'s music service.

http://docs.info.apple.com/article.html?artnum=93548

15. rdhazrd macrumors newbie

iTunes didn't have that featuren until the iPod was released. I can still use a 64MB Rio with iTunes, but then again it won't play AAC files only MP3.