Mac Deus Ex?

Discussion in 'Games' started by neoelectronaut, Dec 26, 2003.

1. neoelectronaut macrumors 68020

neoelectronaut

Anyone want to help me track down Deus Ex for the Mac? I'd really like to play it. I'm willing to pay up to $20...so far all my attempts at finding it have come up with "discontinued" results.

2. plasticparadox macrumors 6502

3. Peyote macrumors 6502a

Peyote

Best mac game I've ever played. Absolutely wonderful gameplay.

4. Dreadnought macrumors 68020

Dreadnought

Only see it for 50 Euro's or so! And it's more then 2 years old!! Sometimes bookstores that also sell cd roms have cheap macgames. I bought Diablo 2 for 20 Euro's there, while it's 50 Euro's in the Apple Stores.

Anyhow, I have it!! Haven't played it for a while... But does anyone kwow if there is an os X upgrade? Really would like to play some more!!

5. plasticparadox macrumors 6502

No OS X upgrade. You'll have to play i n classic mode.

6. iJon macrumors 604

iJon

i have a copy at work that has been sitting there unopened on the shelf for years. PM me with questions.

iJon

7. neoelectronaut thread starter macrumors 68020

neoelectronaut

Oh jeez...I don't think I want it anymore...I've had some bad experiences with having to play stuff in classic mode...

8. AkiraK macrumors member

DEUS EX is phenomenal, and worth playing even if you have to boot into OS 9 to do so (not sure how it would run in Classic, but the req's aren't particularly high...). However...

Avoid DEUS EX: INVISIBLE WAR. Gameplay is basically a repeat of the original with the crippling fact that it was designed for maximum effectiveness on the consoles. The result is an intriguing game marred by a ham-handed control scheme and graphics that look more dated than the original. Aspyr is supposed to be workiing on a port, but, in my opinion, there's nothing to hold your breath over.

9. neoelectronaut thread starter macrumors 68020

neoelectronaut

I have a superdrive, which nixes all possibilities of booting into OS9...so no thanks, I don't think I don't want to play it if I have to play in Classic.

10. Peyote macrumors 6502a

Peyote

I replayed the whole game a month ago running it with classic (not booting into OS9), and it was never a problem.

11. neoelectronaut thread starter macrumors 68020

neoelectronaut

I tried doing the demo thing a while back and the dock would show up at weird time s when I played it in classic. Not to mention if someone IMed me or I had some sort of system message show up it'd be there too.

All of these were in weird colors and HUGE due to it being at 640x480.

12. AdamR01 macrumors 6502

Invisible War isn't that bad of a game. AkiraK, have you played it with the 1.1 patch? It makes the game a lot more mouse friendly. Sure the interface isnt as nice, but it is still a good game. I mean I had to know what happens next after I played the first one. That game really sucks you in. Deus Ex is definitely better than Invisible War, but they both are good.

13. brutus macrumors member

need some help with deus ex.

i own a new pb12 1ghz which cannot boot in os9. im running 10.3.2 panther but can't play deus ex. After installing the game it doesn't starts. It simply stops at start screen.

Any hints?!?

14. applekid macrumors 68020

Let me just say something: I'm a bit surprised that some people aren't replying to the threads in the game section with more helpful information. I made replies in about three threads because nobody mentioned the real answer! People, please, stop by the InsideMacGames Forums! To me, the discussions we're having here are months old! On IMG, we talked about these things months ago and know the answers to them.

Now for DeusEx. If anybody have been reading IMG lately, you will have noticed Glenda Adams of Westlake asked the people in the forums if they'd be interested in an OS X version of DeusEx. Now, there is NO CONFIRMATION of this, but perhaps some hope for those that are interested.

15. AkiraK macrumors member

I should qualify all this by saying that I loved DEUS EX. Perhaps that's part of why Invisible War seemed such a letdown. While the story is indeed intriguing, the new HUD is obnoxious, and gameplay was obviously crafted with consoles in mind. The 1.1 patch has helped some of those issues, but the core gameplay mechanics are still very much the result of cross-platform development. My initial reaction was probably a bit overly harsh, but, as I said before, I was very excited to get my hands on IW, and all that's remained is the feelings of disappointment I had over some key programming decisions.

16. AdamR01 macrumors 6502

Yes, I agree the whole interface in Invisible War was kind of a let down, and the game was kind of short, but it was still a fun game in my mind (well not as fun as the first one :D ). Sorry if i sounded snippy. I hope they make that OS X version of Deus Ex, I would love to be able to play it on my iBook.