Mac Does Not See USB Drive

Discussion in 'Mac Basics and Help' started by carfac, Sep 9, 2006.

1. carfac macrumors 65816

carfac

Hi:

I have two questions, really- does that cost extra? ;)

One- I have an old notebook HD (80 Gig) I did not want to waste, so I got a cheap compusa housing for it, with a usb attachement. No problem on the windows machines, they see it right up when connected... not the Mac. Nothing- nada. Why not, it's connected correctly?

Two: I read in a book (the forggoten manual or something) that it would be smart to create an image of a CD game and put that on my HD, and play from that. I want to do that with all my daughters games- keeps the 5 year old fingers off the disks! So i tested with Civilization 4 (my game). Tryed it, and it asks for the original disk, even though I installed from the image. Is this copy protection of some sort, or am I doing something wrong?

Thanks!

Dave

2. balamw Moderator

balamw

Staff Member

I don't have any ideas on the enclosure*, but yeah, you're probably running into copy protection problems. The ISO image approach works very well for most of the games my kids want to play though except for a few, particularly on Windows, where I need Alcohol 120% to emulate copy protection...

* I usually get a USB/FW combo enclosure since FW works better on Macs.

B

3. carfac thread starter macrumors 65816

carfac

Thanks! I will look at alchohol. Damn, I have some right here! 1998 Chateau Palmer. Oh, DIFFERENT alcholhol!

The external pre-dates my Mac, from when my win machine said, "FW, what is that????"