Mac DVD Player

Discussion in 'Mac Help/Tips' started by MarkW19, Mar 12, 2003.

1. MarkW19 macrumors 65816

Hi guys,

I've just got an R1 DVD, and I'm in the UK (R2).

Apple DVD Player won't let me play the disc without changing region codes BUT, VLC lets me play the disc - it's fine, just not as good quality and quite jerky.

So, does this mean it's just the software that's got the region lock on it? If another program will play the DVD no problems? And if so, do I just need to apply a software patch to Apple DVD player and not the firmware patch to my DVD drive?

I've got a G4 DP867 (DDR) on 10.2.4.

Can anyone help please?

:)

2. conceptdev macrumors regular

A Possible Work-Around

I have never found a way to sneak around the region code directly - but I have a system that allows me to watch US & EU DVDs without constantly switching.

DVD player only applies the region settings to a specific drive. I have an external FW DVDR, so I use one drive for each region. If you have another drive available its a good workaround. If you don't I can't help - I have always been afraid of trying to toy with the code settings for the fear of locking it into one region.

3. MarkW19 thread starter macrumors 65816

Sounds like a good workaround, but sadly I only have the one drive :p

If another program can bypass the region lock, then surely it's just a software thing and all I need to do is apply the patch to Apple DVD player?

Can anyone help? :)

4. Bear macrumors G3

The Mac OS DVD Player uses the region code that's in the DVD drive.

VLC ignores the region code in the drive and uses the DeCSS library to decode the DVD. This library is illegal to use in some countries.

Since the Mac OS DVD Player doesn't have a library llike this, it's restricted to what the DVD drive is set to.

5. losfp macrumors regular

I still can't seem to get VLC to play other regions :confused:

my drive is set to REgion 4, and will play all region 4 discs perfectly. however when I try to get VLC to play a region 1 or 2 disc, nothing happens when I press play. very odd.

6. MarkW19 thread starter macrumors 65816

You need to go to "open file" instead of "open disc", navigate to the DVD disc, inside the Video_TS folder and click on an icon that's got the VLC logo embedded in it.

:)

7. zarathustra macrumors 6502a

zarathustra

Not true, Bear. I have bought two Macs with DVD drives, and both have asked me on the first launch, what Region I would like to use (Apple DVD player). After a clean reinstall of the OS ( I zeroed the drive), I was once again asked what my region was by the DVD player. So there is hope that someone finds the hidden .plist file with the Region code...

8. MarkW19 thread starter macrumors 65816

Your Mac either has an RPC-1 or RPC-2 drive.

RPC-1 = Region free (will play DVD from any region).

RPC-2 = Region Locked.

There's then a software region lock in Apple DVD player.

Some Macs have RPC-1 drives, some have RPC-2. Check the link below.

I've got an RPC-1 in my G4 DP867, therefore the only lock you need to get around is the software lock, which can be patched. Again, see link :p

If you have an RPC-2 drive, you can flash the firmware, but it will of course invalidate your warranty and can cause problems, so only use as a last resort :p

I just found this out btw, so I answered my own question :p

A VERY useful site:-

http://www.wormintheapple.gr/macdvd/

Click on downloads for patches/utilities.

9. celaurie macrumors 6502a

celaurie

I succesfully 'de-zoned' my drive by using a patch from the above MacDVD resource.

However, it is worth remembering that as soon as you do you (i) Void any warrany on your machine, and (ii) run the risk of seriously screwing your DVD drive.

Just a couple of things to bear in mind.

Like I say, I've had no problems... yet!

Chris

10. ShaolinMiddleFinger macrumors 6502a

ShaolinMiddleFinger

You could always use DVDBackup to get rid of the region code, it can then rip it to the hard drive, then you can watch it from Apple DVD Player at that point.

11. losfp macrumors regular

thanks for the hint mark - I'll try it out tonight (all my R1, R2 discs are at home)