Mac Emergency! Please help me! I can't reply to ANY threads on the web!!

Discussion in 'General Mac Discussion' started by t300, Sep 19, 2004.

1. t300 macrumors 6502a

t300

(I am on my PPC)...Okay, this is SO strange. I have 2 Macs, both running Panther and hard connected to my router, and to put it simply, I can't reply to ANY message on any message board on the internet. I go and read a thread, go to reply, type whatever, submit it, and then am greeted by a timeout from Safari, 60 seconds later. Weird, huh? Both Mac's internet and email work flawlessly, too. I am so puzzled and it's killing me...Please, someone tell me that they know how to help...Otherwise, I am stuck on my PPC. Thanks!

2. earthtoandy macrumors 6502

if you can reply to this...

do you have some sort of firewall software or something going on? this is one of the few things i could think of. some times those firewalls get mad at certain sites or types of data transfers...

try disabling all firewqalls, hardware and software and see if you can reply then
    :confused: :confused: :confused:

3. wrldwzrd89 macrumors G5

wrldwzrd89

Sometimes I get this problem - the best things to do are:
    1. Copy your post somewhere, like a TextEdit document, in case you need to retype it.
    2. Try submitting again (if the web board will let you). If you can't, make sure you've copied your post, then back out and try replying again.

For me, 1 or 2 retries gets it to work.
    Also, how were you able to post a new thread? I would think that if you can't reply, you can't make new threads either, since both requests go through the same server.

4. t300 thread starter macrumors 6502a

t300

I was and am on my PocketPC. Nothing is working! I am becoming so frusterated. I also noticed that I couldn't access any eBay site or Apple either, so I guess it is bigger than I thought. Please, keep the suggestions coming as I am totally stuck between a Mac and a hard place....

5. wordmunger macrumors 603

wordmunger

Try using your modem for dialup access. If the problem persists, then you know it's a software problem on your mac. If not, it's probably some setting on your router.

6. t300 thread starter macrumors 6502a

t300

I have no dialup access, or else that would be a good idea. Could it be somet ing on the Cable side? That's what I am leaning towards right now, but I still am not sure about anything.

7. t300 thread starter macrumors 6502a

t300

Okay, I just tried posting from my gf's wireless Dell, it worked..I am now puzzled.

8. edesignuk Moderator emeritus

edesignuk

9. t300 thread starter macrumors 6502a

t300

Well..Good news. I did something and now I am posting from my Mac, but I still can't access eBay and Apple.com is screwy. Any ideas, now?

EDIT: Trying it as we speak, edesignuk.

EDIT: Well, Firefox loaded up Apple and eBay fine...So could it be? No....SAFARI???

10. edesignuk Moderator emeritus

edesignuk

Ok, first off go to ~/Library/Safari and make a copy of your Bookmarks.plist (just stick it on your desktop or something). Open up Safari and go File > Reset Safari. Delete ~/Library/Preferences/com.apple.Safari.plist, and ~/Library/Safari. Restart Safari and it *should* re-create these files/folders. Then just pop your backup of your bookmarks back in the newly created ~/Library/Safari folder, and hopefully it'll have sorted out whatever the problem is. If all that doesn't do it...then I give up!

BTW, I'd stick with Firefox anyway :D

11. The Past macrumors 6502

I had to call AppleCare one time with a similar issue and deleting Safari cache solved the problem for me.

12. t300 thread starter macrumors 6502a

t300

Holy Toledo! It worked edesignuk! Genius! What do you want in return, huh? Gmail invite? Thanks!

13. edesignuk Moderator emeritus

edesignuk

lol, just knowing I was able to help my fellow man is all I need *throws up from listening to my own bullsh*t* :D :p

14. t300 thread starter macrumors 6502a

t300

lol...Well, thanks a lot! Now, I must do this on my iMac, which is suffering from the same spell.

15. t300 thread starter macrumors 6502a

t300

Okay, so I spoke TOO soon and am still having some problems...

My iMac is not responding to the Safari deletion and reseting like my PB did...

16. t300 thread starter macrumors 6502a

t300

Also, I can't reply to posts and use quotes, I time out every time. It's weird. As soon as I take out a quote and submit it, it does instantly. edesignuk, I call on you or anyone else who is worthy of this challenge...

17. t300 thread starter macrumors 6502a

t300

Edit: Also, I can go through eBay, but not sign in, it times out...

18. edesignuk Moderator emeritus

edesignuk

Is everything still fine if you use Firefox? (just so that we know for sure this is an application issue).

19. t300 thread starter macrumors 6502a

t300

Firefox won't let me sign into eBay but I am typing this and quoting you from it...

20. t300 thread starter macrumors 6502a

t300

Now, I am on Safari and can't quote. I can't edit posts with quotes in them. This is SO strange

21. edesignuk Moderator emeritus

edesignuk

But you just did, you quoted yourself, I'm getting :confused:

edit: WTF, the quote in your last post just went, did u remove it?

22. Doctor Q Administrator

Doctor Q

Staff Member

If you turn on the Window->Activity feature of Safari, you might learn something useful. Maybe access to a certain URL is timing out.

23. t300 thread starter macrumors 6502a

t300

Half the time I can do what's above me, and other times not. (I just tried to quote the post above)

I don't see much in the Activity menu but I am looking...

24. iMeowbot macrumors G3

iMeowbot

Has anyone with access to your network played with any programs or settings that were supposed to improve network performance? It the router or the Mac has incorrectly "tweaked" MTU or RWIN settings, symptoms like these can be expected.

25. t300 thread starter macrumors 6502a

t300

Well, this problem has never happened before. No settings were changed by me, and I am the only one that uses them. I am so puzzled.