Mac equivalent to MS OneNote?

Discussion in 'Mac Apps and Mac App Store' started by tanda4, Mar 16, 2007.

1. tanda4 macrumors newbie

Anyone know of a Mac equivalent to MS Office OneNote?

Taken from the Microsoft OneNote website...
    "In its simplest form, OneNote is an electronic version of a paper notebook where you can write down notes, thoughts, ideas, scribbles, reminders, and all kinds of other information. Unlike the traditional document page format of other programs such as word-processing or spreadsheet programs, OneNote offers a free-form canvas where you can type, write, or draw notes in the form of text, graphics, and images wherever and however you want them."

2. PlaceofDis macrumors Core

there is a Notebook function built into Word in Office for Mac 2004.

i've never used OneNote, so i don't know if they have features on the same par, but according to that little blurb, they sound almost identical.

3. Mr Skills macrumors 6502a

Mr Skills

4. tilman macrumors regular

OneNote 2007 is a pretty neat application, and I haven't found anything similar for the Mac yet. There's no word about it being part of Office 2008 either. Bummer.

No, the notebook view in Word 2004 doesn't even come close. Applications like Yojimbo or Soho Notes are better matches.

The part about OneNote 2007 that I like the best is the automatic synching. You can just open a notebook somewhere on the network, and it makes a local copy. When you edit (and there's no Save button BTW), changes are immediately applied to both the local and shared copy. If you disconnect your computer from the network, edits are only made to the local copy. As soon as the network connection is restored, all edits are synchronized. This works even if multiple users are editing the same document.

5. chatoyer macrumors regular

I searched for an OneNote equivalent when I switched to the Mac environment in Nov 2006. The best, and closest (but not really like OneNote), is DevonThink Pro. A pretty nifty application, but not cheap. Worth the price (I think US$130).

6. M@lew macrumors 68000

M@lew

Have a look at Journler or Yojimbo. I posted a small comparison on my blog just before.

7. Pitman67 macrumors newbie

You might want to look at this thread for some discussion of note-taking programs.