Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

cao812

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Apr 5, 2009
I recently purchased an appletv for the purpose of streaming web content to my television. I went to jailbreak my Appletv. At first, i couldn't get it into DFU Mode. Once I got it into DFU mode, I started getting the error: "Your Usb has been shut off to prevent damage/due to the device drawing too much power"

I began searching the web for a fix and discovered there were several sites reporting on the issue. However, none provided a definite fix. I am inclined to think that this is a hardware issue specifically; damage to the usb/micro usb. on the device, or the keyboard. If someone has experienced this issue, and has solved the problem. Please post your fix method. If you are having this problem and havent fixed it i would like to talk to start a dialog on this subject.
:apple: IMAC 27 120SSD 3TB external
:apple:IMAC 21.5in 500GB 4gbram
:apple:Ipad 1st gen 32 wifi
:apple:iPhone 4 32Gb
:apple:TV 2gen

barryj100

macrumors newbie
Jan 5, 2010
since there seems to be a lot of nonsense written about this subject i decieded to post an excerpt from trouble shooting usb problems in the mac

Hope you find it useful

Not Enough Power to Function

The Mac OS will generate a "Not Enough Power to Function" message if:
■A device tries to draw too much power from the USB bus.
■One or more devices plugged into a hub requires more power than is available.
■You have attached a self-powered device (like a printer or floppy drive) and forgot to plug it into an electrical outlet.

Solution
If you're using a self-powered device, make sure it is plugged into a working electrical outlet. If not, try connecting the device directly to your computer or to a port on a powered hub. If you're connecting the USB device to a powered hub, make sure the hub is plugged into a working electrical outlet.

Not Enough Power For All Functions

The Mac OS will generate a "Not Enough Power for All Functions" message if there is enough power to supply some but not all of the functions the device is designed to provide.

Solution
As above, you'll need to see if the USB device has its own power cord and, if it does, you'll need to plug it into a working electrical outlet. Also, try plugging the cable for the USB device directly into to your computer or to an available port on a powered hub. If you're connecting the USB device to a powered hub, make sure the hub is plugged into a working electrical outlet.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.