.mac "exclusive dashboard widgets"?

Discussion in 'Mac Apps and Mac App Store' started by iminimac, Jul 15, 2005.

1. iminimac macrumors regular

on the member centeral area on .mac it has said "exclusive dashboard widgets coming soon". This message has now been taken down. Does anyone know if there are going to be any widgets?

2. XNine macrumors 68040

XNine

Why are you wearing that stupid man suit?
    At this point, no. It said that since before Tiger's launch. Either they are preparing to change the site to give us these widgets, which, should have been done before Tiger's launch, or they aren't doing it at all now.

3. Counterfit macrumors G3

Counterfit

4. ravenvii macrumors 604

ravenvii

My guess is that they're just .Mac-related widgets - email indicators, iDisk size/amount remaining, iCal integration, webpage stats, stuff like that. Exclusive as in only .Mac members can use them (others can download and install it, but it won't be of any use to them).

But seems they scrapped the idea.

5. munkle macrumors 68030

munkle

Shame, as Apple needs to do something to make .mac seem worthwhile. Exclusive widgets would have been a step in the right direction, along with bumping the storage space of course!

6. tuartboy macrumors 6502a

tuartboy

are there any really good reasons to use .mac?

I'm tempte to click on the 60 day trial button, but I don't know if i want to bother with yet another email/service thing.

7. munkle macrumors 68030

munkle

It does have some good functions and is very easy to use. Being able to sync mail/bookmarks/contacts/calendars is tremendously useful, it's very easy to publish an elementary homepage, to get your photos from iPhoto onto the web and it's pretty dang cool having a .mac email address :p Whilst some other services might offer some or even all of the above, none do so with the ease of .mac. Whether it's worth it is completely up to your personal situation.

Personally for me it's not worth it but I recommended it to my Dad who loves it.

8. tuartboy macrumors 6502a

tuartboy

i wouldn't mind a calendar online. ical needs to sync up to a webdav enabled server and those are few and far between. I had an automator script set to upload my calendars up to my webserver so phpicalendar could display it, but that got old after a while.

i'm not sure about the rest though. i don't really need the syncing as this is now my primary computer and my only mac.

9. munkle macrumors 68030

munkle

10. andiwm2003 macrumors 601

andiwm2003

if you are a compter illiterate like i am then .mac is really good. you get a easy to set up website, a easy to set up mail program and you easily can share calendar, mail, keychains and adresses between your macs.
    $99 for a year is a bold price giving the competition out there. but i like .mac more than the $99 in my pocket.....

it would be nice if they would throw out some more useful freebees like widgets, imove sounds/effects, keynote themes or pages templates. they did that for a while but they seem to have stopped that kind of incentive.

andi

11. tuartboy macrumors 6502a

tuartboy

I actually checked out icalx but I like the idea of having it on my server better. I clean out all the unnecessary parts of phpicalendar and had it called from another page as an element of that page.

I guess I could have a script grab the icalx page and parse it and do the same thing...

12. Heb1228 macrumors 68020

Heb1228

There is still a "Coming Soon" message for exclusive dashboard widgets. I think .mac is definitely worth it. I use Backup with an External Firewire 800 drive to backup my iTunes, iPhoto libraries and home directory at least once a week.

Also, I use my iDisk for hosting my website and for posting files too big to email, its pretty convenient. Also posting iPhoto albums takes like 2 clicks.

Syncing will be great when I get a second Mac someday :)

13. Heb1228 macrumors 68020

Heb1228

There is still a "Coming Soon" message for exclusive dashboard widgets. I think .mac is definitely worth it. I use Backup with an External Firewire 800 drive to backup my iTunes, iPhoto libraries and home directory at least once a week.

Also, I use my iDisk for hosting my website and for posting files too big to email, its pretty convenient. Also posting iPhoto albums takes like 2 clicks.

Syncing will be great when I get a second Mac someday :)

14. ravenvii macrumors 604

ravenvii

Seems the thread sort of got sidetracked. I'll put in my two cents anyway...

I feel that .Mac is BARELY worth my money and BARELY not worth my money, at the same time. In face value, $100 is a bit much, I agree. But in the big picture, it's only $100 a year. You pay $100, then forget it for another year. In that standpoint, the money isn't really a big deal. The convenience of the integration with OS X, iDisk, and the ease of use of it all is a relief from the cheaper way of doing all those things. I rent a "real" web server for my websites, but it's such a pain, having to FTP to it to upload stuff and all that. iDisk is so simple. I use it to share - post pictures on message boards, show friends pictures or my iPhoto library or some movies I made, etc. It's mainly a sharing medium for me. Also, I use it to store stuff I don't want to lose. This way, when I decide I want to reformat and reinstall, it'll only be a 30 minute affair, and I'm back up and running with no hassles.

So it's really up to the user and how he/she wants to do things. For some, like those who just want a @mac.com address, .Mac is retardedly overpriced. But for those who use many of .Mac's features, the price actually isn't that bad at all.

Of course... APPLE, UP THE STORAGE!!! WE, THE CUSTOMERS DEMAND IT!!! :D

15. puckhead193 macrumors G3

puckhead193

my membership is up...i'm debating wheather or not to renew... i like the mail and the homepage, but the quality for the movies is terrible.

16. Freg3000 macrumors 68000

Freg3000

Some rumblings about our all but forgotten .Mac widgets...

17. Koodauw macrumors 68040

Koodauw

isnt mail just a click away now... via the mail icon in my dock :confused:

I think I should try and get a refund for .mac. what a waste.

18. Counterfit macrumors G3

Counterfit

I just hope I can get another referral this year. $80 is much better than $100 for .Mac ;)

19. Jaffa Cake macrumors Core

Jaffa Cake

Maybe Apple feel the Mail icon with a big red dot on it isn't enough of a clue for some people...

20. Applespider macrumors G4

Applespider

looking through rose-tinted spectacles...
    Or buy it boxed when it's on a promo offer and use the box-code to resubscribe. I've had £20 off the past two years without referring anyone...