.mac expansion

Discussion in 'Mac Apps and Mac App Store' started by fjs08, Apr 3, 2005.

1. fjs08 macrumors 65816

Hi, .Mac accounts are currently limited to 250 mb. Google recently expanded to 2 gigs, Yahoo is expanding to 1 meg. Any news on Apple expanding .mac to anything larger than 250 meg of storage??

Thanks.

Frank

2. edesignuk Moderator emeritus

edesignuk

In a word. No.
    Nothing, nada, zip.

If anything changes it'll be after Tiger though I imagine.

3. robbieduncan Moderator emeritus

robbieduncan

I personally think this is quite likely. With Tiger pushing .Mac sync so heavily and opening up the sync API to third party developers Apple are obviously hopping that people will use .Mac to sync across multiple Macs. With third party developers using this as well the space requirements may well rise for syncing alone and Apple might well provide more space.

Apple have also been pushing the .Mac SDK a bit on the developer site recently to try and increase the amount of apps that can publish directly to .Mac and the like, again another reason for Apple to increase space.

4. thequicksilver macrumors 6502a

thequicksilver

Without wishing to be cynical, unless people let their subscription lapse/fewer people sign up for .mac, Apple won't do anything about it. They're a business - if their numbers are staying the same despite the miserly nature of the product there's no reason to update it.

It will eventually happen, but don't expect something immediately. IMHO etc.

5. Bear macrumors G3

Remember .mac is more than just mail.

Also, people are more likely to fill up their .mac space than they would gmail space.

6. Electric Monk macrumors member

Actually Gmail has gone infinite+1 (well, not quite). They're expanding storage space constantly now, go the gmail page and you can watch the counter climb. It's a little over 2 GB right now.

.mac should at least go to 1 GB and hopefully 2 GB. Even Hotmail gives you 250 MB for free. Yahoo as mentioned just went to 1 GB as well.

Of course this will take Tiger at the earliest. Storage space isn't that expensive, it's just Apple hanging on to those lovely billions (Advertise! argh).

7. Xtremehkr macrumors 68000

Xtremehkr

I have been a .Mac subscriber from day one, but this is getting a little ridiculous. There has been very little change in the last 3-4 years.

8. BornAgainMac macrumors 603

BornAgainMac

I have 1 GB of .Mac space. $50 bucks for that extra 750 Mb. Perhaps next year for that price they will include 2 GB or more. .Mac seems to get the most attention around the Fall when it was first implemented as a yearly payment deal. Perhaps that is when most people's subscription expires around then and Apple doesn't want to lose them.

9. Sky Blue Guest

Sky Blue

What was yahoo at before? 500 k??

10. fjs08 thread starter macrumors 65816

My Yahoo is still 250 mg. I read that only the Yahoo paying customers get the 1 gig. Gmail is 2 gig for anyone.

Frank

11. thezanman macrumors newbie

Honestly, if you just use your .mac for mail, you should look into getting another service. Many web hosting companies will give you a plan with 1gig or more of space for the same price (still includes webmail, IMAP, etc), and might fit your needs better.

12. fjs08 thread starter macrumors 65816

I enjoy all the items from .Mac, but it seems almost a slam dunk that the various services are expanding to 1 gig or more almost daily. I think with OSX-Tiger and the promised updated Mail service, they may do something in conjunction with .Mac Mail too, but who knows.

Frank

13. chameeeleon macrumors 6502

Macosrumors seems to think .Mac's on the verge of an overhaul, so that's a good sign. Oh wait, it's Macosrumors. Yeah, never mind.
    I for one would LOVE for Apple to completely overhaul the whole service, with more themes, templates, etc. And more space. AT LEAST 2 Gigs.