.Mac Expiring, What happens to Songs?

Discussion in 'iPod' started by besler3035, Aug 16, 2006.

1. besler3035 macrumors 6502

My .Mac subscription expires tomorrow. I've been using this as my Apple ID when purchasing songs off of iTunes.

I'd like to know what will happen to those songs, and if I'll be able to either keep buying songs with that ID or change the ID e-mail address. This is a big concern because I have a few song credits still on my account that I haven't used yet.

I know how to change the Apple ID with a regular e-mail, just not with a .Mac subscription. And that's what I need to do! I don't really want to burn all my iTunes purchased songs to a bunch of audio CD's, but if that's what needs to happen I guess I'll have to.

Thanks.

2. WildCowboy Administrator/Editor

WildCowboy

Staff Member

Sorry, I don't have a .mac account, so I'm not sure about this, but why can't you change it the same way you would change another e-mail address? Can't you just view your account through iTunes and change the account to a new Apple ID?

3. besler3035 thread starter macrumors 6502

Nope, it won't allow you to.

4. WildCowboy Administrator/Editor

WildCowboy

Staff Member

Ah...here you go.

.Mac usernames remain valid for other applications even after the .Mac service expires.

5. Applespider macrumors G4

Applespider

looking through rose-tinted spectacles...
    Can't you go into the Apple Store on the web, go into your account details and change your account there.

Mine is a .mac account but I can get to a page where the email field is editable and there's a note saying that whatever email address I put in that field will be my new Apple ID

6. besler3035 thread starter macrumors 6502

I guess what I mean is how do I change the Apple ID username (not the e-mail, I've changed that). I just don't want to be known as my @mac.com username anymore because I won't have it after tomorrow.

According to Apple, I'll still have access to buy songs, etc. and the works with my @mac.com username. I'd still like a way to change it though.

7. Applespider macrumors G4

Applespider

looking through rose-tinted spectacles...
    Like I said above... go to the Apple Store online - click on your account details and you can change your email address which will become your new Apple ID according to the text next to the box.

8. CANEHDN macrumors 6502a

CANEHDN

Why aren't you continuing your .Mac subscription?

9. ITASOR macrumors 601

ITASOR

That worked for me! Thanks. :)