Mac-Expo 2006 - Olympia, London

Discussion in 'Community Discussion' started by thworple, Oct 4, 2006.

1. thworple macrumors 6502

thworple

Anyone signed up to go to Mac Expo at the Olympia in London?

Going for the first time this year (got my ticket free a month or so ago), and wondered if anyone had gone in previous years, and could give us any useful info on the event (other than what's on the website of course!).

2. SpaceMagic macrumors 68000

SpaceMagic

MacExpo London '06

Hey all,

So it's that time of year again! Who's attending the MacExpo in London at the end of this month? I'll becoming alone so hopefully I can meet some of you guys (and gals). I'll be going on the saturday (28th).

Hope to see you there,

SpaceMagic

3. XIII macrumors 68040

XIII

I'll probably go at some point.. I've registered. :)

4. jsw Moderator emeritus

jsw

5. SpaceMagic macrumors 68000

SpaceMagic

sorry jsw, thanks for the merge... i thought i looked. going mad. ill. blurgh.

6. ®îçhå®? macrumors 68000

®îçhå®?

Hopefully i will. Ive just gotta order my ticket but almost certainly i will. I think i will go on the Friday as it is during 1/2 term at school and it wont be as busy as if i went on Saturday.

7. SpaceMagic macrumors 68000

SpaceMagic

I planned going on the friday because train tickets are cheaper. However Uni has decided to place interview day then! Oh Well... mac expo or future lebensweg?

8. thworple thread starter macrumors 6502

thworple

A-ha! Wondered where my post went.

Was beginnning to think no-one wanted to reply :(

Think I'm gonna go down on the Thurs or Fri - managers at work are allowing me and my fellow editor to go, as they consider it work related.:)

9. MacBoobsPro macrumors 603

MacBoobsPro

Woohoo FREE STUFF!!!!

Last time I went a stall was giving away the Apple iMac G3 mice (you know the hockey puck ones) probably coz they were crap. I took 5 and sold them on eBay. :D It paid for my train ticket and beer that day! :D

10. Queso macrumors G4

I might take a gander down there, seeing as it's only 10 mins on the bike and all.

Mind you, can't carry back a 24" iMac under a bungy net can you? :( :eek:

11. skunk macrumors G4

skunk

Luckily, mine's arriving separately. I might well see you down there.

12. Queso macrumors G4

Cool. You can lead us all out the hall if there's a power cut :p

13. dcv macrumors G3

I went last year and it was amazingly boring.

Highlight of the day was probably the guy at the Wacom stand with the most incredible mullet. :cool:

To the OP: "useful info from someone who's been before"...

Well I'm not sure what you're expecting to see but Olympia is very small and outdated in terms of exhibition venues so don't expect anything as grand as other Apple Expos. It's basically a few stands of Apple products and third-party vendor hardware/software e.g. last year we saw a big stand with Aperture stuff, Wacom tablets, Elgato EyeTV, couple of resellers selling peripherals but not at particularly great prices. There was a section in the corner with a load of iMac G5s set up for games. There were a couple of lectures on Aperture and whatnot but pretty limited seating. Didn't bother with that anyway. No freebies apart from some draw at the very end where they had an EyeTV and some crappy t-shirts up for grabs. All in all pretty dull, pretty crowded and very very hot in there :(

14. Queso macrumors G4

Worth making the trip for that alone I would have thought.

I saw one fantastic mullet whilst in Rome. Some woman from North Carolina who was in the Colosseum at the same time I was. I knew she was from there because she announced it very loudly to every American she met :)

I was trying to point my camera at her whilst she wasn't noticing, but to get the full effect the pic had to be from the front, so I didn't manage it :( :D

15. Abstract macrumors Penryn

Abstract

16. MacBoobsPro macrumors 603

MacBoobsPro

Fishing for Mullet is a fine art. :D You have to pretend you are trying to fix your camera while pointing your camera at your prey. Looking down at it as though trying to figure out why its not working. Point in general direction of said mullet and snap away.

EDIT: I got a great snap of a guy that looked like Michael Jackson when he was about 20 complete with afro in front of the Statue of Liberty. If i can find i will post it. But it was a few years ago.

17. skunk macrumors G4

skunk

That's what I loved about my Nikon 995: that swivelling viewfinder allowed many discreet shots of unaware subjects/victims.

18. thworple thread starter macrumors 6502

thworple

Thank god my ticket was free! Ah well, it gets me out of the office for the day. And the mullets could well be a bonus - maybe we should start a contest to see who can spot and photograph the best one throughout the exhibition! ;)

19. dcv macrumors G3

Yes this was the problem. edesignuk tried to get a photo of it with his mobile phone but I don't think it came out too well :(

20. Blue Velvet Moderator emeritus

Have been bugged with emails about this at home and at work recently and also a flurry of emails from Quark about their presence there...

Didn't really read them in detail but now realise, after looking at some other sites tonight, that Quark are going to announce 'a worldwide launch of an 'innovative new product'. Which is fairly extraordinary in itself.

A Quark image editor? Web WYSIWYG editor? Quark-branded iPod socks? :confused:

21. dcv macrumors G3

Cheese of course :p

[​IMG]

22. thworple thread starter macrumors 6502

thworple

Just incase anyone wants a ticket, they're still free, as advertised in the "Hot News" section on the Apple UK site.

For a limited time only, you can get a free ticket for the show by entering the discount code “AP6” when you register on the MacExpo site.

23. ®îçhå®? macrumors 68000

®îçhå®?

24. stevep macrumors 6502a

stevep

Has anyone else got problems downloading their free ticket - they sent me a link in the email, which times out with an error:
    "Microsoft OLE DB Provider for ODBC Drivers error '80040e31'
    [Microsoft][ODBC SQL Server Driver]Timeout expired
    /macexpo06/index.asp, line 120 "

Tried it with Safari and Firefox. Perhaps it would work in IE on a pc...........

25. Sesshi macrumors G3

Sesshi