Mac: External HD and burner

Discussion in 'Mac Accessories' started by AtHomeBoy_2000, Aug 22, 2005.

1. AtHomeBoy_2000 macrumors 6502a

AtHomeBoy_2000

I am buying a Mac about the middle of next month and I will be a first time Mac owner (the Apple IIe I had as a child doesn’t count!). I need advice on 2 accounts. I am going to buy the 1.8 G5 iMac with the combo drive. I felt it might just be safer to save the money on the upgrade to a 2.0 and put it into an external hard drive and external DVD burner. This is where I need help.

What type of HD and burner would you suggest? I hear Lacie makes great external HD. And I love their DVD burner with Lightscribe however I hear it is not fully compatible with iDVD which is I would prefer it do work with. What external burner would you suggest?

2. iEdd macrumors 68000

iEdd

Why external???
    You would be best with the apple supplied superdrive for full compatibilty with iDVD, etc.
    If you want to do lightscribe, you could get an external one at a later stage.

EDIT: For HDD I recommend one of the lacie triple interface models... I have a 250GB

3. AtHomeBoy_2000 thread starter macrumors 6502a

AtHomeBoy_2000

Well, I dont really have a need for the 2.0 Ghz just to pay $200 more to get a SLIGHTLY faster processor and a DVD burner. I can save the $200 and put it into a DVD burner and part of an external HD.

4. AtHomeBoy_2000 thread starter macrumors 6502a

AtHomeBoy_2000

Can anyone help clear up my question about if external DVD burners are compatable with iDVD? I have tried to search the forums here and havent really found a clear yes or no answer. I would be buying a new DVD burner, so it wont be something that is old and potentially incompatable with Mac.

5. doucy2 macrumors 65816

doucy2

if you are interested i have an adapter that changes and ide drive (hd, dvd, etc) in to a usb combatible drive
    lmk
    this might work for you

6. jeremy.king macrumors 603

jeremy.king

First, I like the Pioneer DVR-109 (they now have a 110 model) - just throw it in an external case.

Second, read up on Patchburn to make them "compatible" with the iApps.

http://www.patchburn.de/

7. DocB macrumors newbie

while I don't have one myself, some friends of mine recommend the Lacie external HD. Relatively inexpensive and they use it to back up their entire HD.

8. PaRaGoNViCtiM macrumors 6502a

I have a Maxtor One Touch II 200GB External Hard Drive, and I love it.
    I got a really good deal on it too at Office Depot. I would get a Lacie external DVD burner.

9. iEdd macrumors 68000

iEdd

My apologies... I didn't realise the model you wanted was combo only.
    I'd say to go with a Pioneer DVR-110 in a firewire case or something..

10. puckhead193 macrumors G3

puckhead193

me 2 :D