Mac fan noise

Discussion in 'Macintosh Computers' started by goodtimes5, Dec 31, 2004.

1. macrumors 6502a

goodtimes5

Does fan noise increase over time?

My flatscreen-arm iMac has really been whining the past year. I remember in it's first year when all I could hear was a faint hum.

2. macrumors 6502

It's possible that there is dust buildup in the computer/fan, causing it to strain. Is it sitting on a carpet (or anything made or material or furry?), or in a dusty room?

3. thread starter macrumors 6502a

goodtimes5

It's just sitting on a normal desk.

I don't know about dust. How would I go about clearing it out?

4. macrumors 68000

Mav451

Its most likely either the CPU-fan or the PSU-fan, as those are under the most strenuous and continous strain. The fan may just need to be lubricated...you do this by removing the sticker on the center and putting a drop of lubricant in there.

There was a guide somewhere on this, so I'll see if I can find anything.

5. macrumors 65816

realityisterror

my 15" iMac has been getting louder too, but it's just over 15 months old...
    be careful if you do decide to open the machine... after you unscrew the first "door," there's another plate underneath... when you re-close that, you have to put some sort of heat resistant glue on it...

someone will probably post it here... if not, just google for "open imac g4" and you should find something about it...

good luck,
    reality

6. macrumors 68040

Macmaniac

No matter where you put your iMac dust builds up around the fans, the G4 iMacs tend to be very good at accumulating dust. If you are still under warranty, find a technician who can open it up for you and de-dust it. Opening the iMac G4 by yourself is considered violating the warranty, if you are out of warranty make sure you have some heat sink goop if you have the iMac G4. After you are done dusting make sure you re apply the heat sink goop on the heat sink contact points. If you don't your machine can over heat.

7. thread starter macrumors 6502a

goodtimes5

Wow, that sounds like a lot of trouble just to get rid of some dust.

I don't think I want to risk overheating my computer in exchange for a quieter fan.

How much would it be to get a certified technician to do it?

Or, could I just vacuum the air vents? (Half-kidding)