Mac fixes PC Drive problem!

Discussion in 'General Mac Discussion' started by maclamb, Nov 15, 2003.

1. maclamb macrumors 6502

maclamb

I have a usb portable hard drive that was having disk problems.
    Win2K could not even see the drive, not reformat, etc.
    Before turning the drive into a frisbee and buying another on ebay I tried hooking it to my mac (Cube, 1.2G, 10.3).
    Cube disk utility (finally) saw the drive- I erased it and then reconnected to the PC - PC saw it, I deleted the partition and reformatted and now am able to use it...

Moral:
    Macs (especially 10.3) Rule, PCs Suck (this is news?)
    When I can fix a PC disk better on my mac the game is over.
    I stopped using a Mac at work under 10.2 last year b/c it's networking was lame and was hard to integrate w/ a PC ruled work environment. Now, as soon as I can afford a laptop (maybe for christmas) I'm going to start using it at work again
    Woo Hoo!
    :)

2. FuzzyBallz macrumors 6502a

FuzzyBallz

Just 'cause you don't know how to get around a problem using a particular system doesn't mean it sucks, it only means you're an amateur.

You could've simply taken the HD out from the enclosure, hook it up as internal, boot into DOS, wipe partition w/ fdisk, create new primary partition, restart system, and format w/ Admin Tools in W2K.

How part will people go to trash PC when they don't even know what they're doing in the 1st place? hardy har har

3. simX macrumors 6502a

simX

And that's really as simple as hooking it up to a Mac, reformatting it, hooking it back up to the PC, and then formatting it again. No, really, it is! You just have to work with screwdrivers and the innards of your PC! Wow, so easy! :rolleyes:

4. maclamb thread starter macrumors 6502

maclamb

FuzzyBallz

Well, now see that wouldn't work becuiase
    1. It's a laptop hard drive in a portable USB enclosure.
    2. The USB enclsure was working fine - the drive was not able to be recogniozed by the Win OS.
    So, even if I had a laptop drive to IDE converter (which I *have* used in my 20 years of installing and fixing and building computers, including designing, building my own z80 based breadboard computer 20 years ago AND writing and hand assembling my own OS kernel) the Win OS still wouldn't see the dsrive.
    My point wasa that the drive program on Mac was able to do what windows could not.

Why did you feel the need to make me wrong about this ?:eek:

5. Fender2112 macrumors 6502a

Fender2112

While this may be true, it does not change the fact. Windows does suck. :D

6. maclamb thread starter macrumors 6502

maclamb

thank you Fender - You got my point.

PS. Have you seen the promos for Shrek 2?