Mac font problem

Discussion in 'macOS' started by shinefire, Apr 11, 2006.

1. shinefire macrumors newbie

I'm having a problem getting fonts to work in OSX. The fonts are from another graphic designer who is using OSX and Suitcase to manage her fonts. I have Suitcase as well. Whenever I get a font from her, it's icon shows up as a small dark rectangle with no file association. I've tried puttin it in the system library, my user library, adding it with font book and suitcase. None of them recognize the files. She swears they should work though. When I click on one of the file's propertiers, it shows it as a unix exec file. I'm baffled.

Any thoughts?

2. killmoms macrumors 68040

killmoms

I'd assume the problem is that the file arrived to you with no extension (the "whatever" part in font.whatever) on a non-HFS formatted volume, meaning things like the "creator-code" and "opens with" metadata was not preserved. Thus, your system doesn't know what it is. Ask her if these fonts are OpenType, TrueType, or Type 1 fonts, and add appropriate extensions as necessary.

3. MisterMe macrumors G4

MisterMe

Do a Get Info on the files. Click the Opens With: pop-up menu. Select Font Book.

4. shinefire thread starter macrumors newbie

None of those solutions worked. Thanks though.

5. novoluz macrumors newbie

the Answer!!!

hey, shinefire, i too was struggling with this problem for a while now, but
    thru a little bit of googling, i found out the reason for the madness. if you open a zip file containing mac fonts on a pc, it somehow strips the resource forks off of some fonts, turning them into the dreaded unix exec files :p instead, drag that same zip file into the Mac and unzip it from there..it's almost guaranteed to work. also, keep those crazy mac fonts on the mac only..don't transfer them thru a pc server unzipped and then back to the mac or (almost for sure) ur going to see those fonts turn into the unix exec files. in any event, the safest way to transfer mac fonts to a mac is to zip them first from within the mac and Then it's ok to email them, ftp them, transfer thru a pc server, etc.

hope that helps!
    - a concerned :apple: enthusiast