Mac for business?

Discussion in 'Buying Tips and Advice' started by Shackler, Mar 9, 2007.

1. Shackler macrumors 6502a

Feb 3, 2007
    behind you!
    Hi, im goin into a business program in university and everyone say yeah Macs are great for school, but eveyone is like a engineer or a Graphic designer or stuff like that.

But what about business?

All the Mac ads boast about how its great for fun stuff and PC's are great for business stuff.
    So is there any business students out there who use Macs, and how is it.

Im also gunna use this thread to ask about Pages compatiblity with Word if any at all?
  2. mattscott306 macrumors 68040

Jan 16, 2007
    Macs will work fine in a business program, now more then ever due to boot camp. You'll be able to run windows (you'll have to purchase it) on your mac, in case you have to run any programs non-mac compatable. Word run's just fine on mac, as does the rest of MS Office Suite, so thats not a problem. I'm not to familiar with pages, so I can't help you out there.
  3. cwedl macrumors 65816

Jun 5, 2003
    What do you mean by business?

spreadsheets -Microsoft Excel for mac 2004
    letters - Pages or Microsoft Word for Mac 2004
    Presentations - Have the best presentations ever - with keynote - scrap powerpoint!
    E-mails - Apple Mail or Entourage
    Sage? sorry! but still get a mac, if you have to use bootcamp install windows xp on your mac! or use parallels!

for basic pages docs including lists bullets etc (not sure about tables) it will work fine! I converted it to word files loads of times.
  4. Nitromaster macrumors 6502

Jan 7, 2007
    Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/4.0 (compatible; MSIE 6.0; Symbian OS; Nokia N70/2.0539.1.2; 6366) Opera 8.01 [en])

A mac is basically a really cool pc with the best operating system. You can run windows on it if you want. I cant answer your question about pages but neo office(open office) should open any ms office documents as long as they are not created with office07.
  5. drewyboy macrumors 6502a

Jan 27, 2005
    first of all..if us engineers can use electrical anyways... there should be no problem running whatever business programs you need. and second of all...if i was you, dont bother using boot camp or parallels...those require you to BUY windows...use Crossover. This program lets u use windows programs w/o the windows!
  6. candyapple8 macrumors newbie

Dec 15, 2005
    Is it possible to open a windows Microsoft Excel file on a Mac? I've been wanting to transfer over some files to my macbook and was wondering if iWork could open them?
  7. tipdrill407 macrumors 6502

May 26, 2006

LOL yes u can, microsoft office for Mac is exactly the same or almost exactly the same as the windows counterpart
  8. epochblue macrumors 68000

Aug 12, 2005
    Nashville, TN
    iWork does not contain a spreadsheet app, but there are rumors that we should be expecting one for an upcoming version of iWork....

...and as TPAM mentioned, Office 2004 for Mac will open everything MS Office for Windows will open (except .docx, currently).
  9. synth3tik macrumors 68040

Oct 11, 2006
    Minneapolis, MN
  10. BlackDan macrumors 6502

Aug 20, 2004
    I agree, I tested crossover at work. Very good... Parallels is even better, but just too expensive if it's only for that one app you really need. (1 XP license + Parallels= lots of money you won't be spending on beers) One problem I had in crossover was printing though, didn't look further into it, so there may be a solution, I just didn't bother...

On another note, if you want to use the mac for "business" I guess you mean mainly MS Office. I did find some odd compatibility issues between Powerpoint for mac and powerpoint for windows. Just so you know. Also, I would prefer Outlook to Entourage any day, but that's just my opinion.

I honestly - and I think I'm being very objective here as I use both Win and Mac very intensively at work and at home and like them both for different reasons - cannot think of a reason NOT to buy a mac, especially if you're "only" a "normal business user". Actually the only job I can think of that would require a windows-machine is if you're a windows developer... all other people will have all they need on the mac.

We all have some mac-whines, at least I do, but I will never go back to "Windows-only".
    Things I miss on the mac: PuTTy, compatibility with my sony NetMD, my ViaMichelin GPS software,
    Things I miss on the PC: iPhoto, twitterific, Geektool
  11. livingfortoday macrumors 68030

Nov 17, 2004
    The Msp
    I deal with a lot of files coming from PC's on my Mac, and I have never had a problem. Sometimes I have some formatting issues with PowerPoint, but usually it's just because they used some weird font that I don't have. There are a lot of people on these forums who use Macs in business settings, and I can't really think of a scenario where you'd definitely need a PC (especially now with Intel Macs running Windows).

I'd recommend going in to an Apple Store and playing around with Office on a Mac there if you're concerned. You'll quickly see that there's nothing to worry about!