Mac for Graphic Design, Animation, some 3d

Discussion in 'Buying Tips, Advice and Discussion (archive)' started by xalex1, May 15, 2004.

1. xalex1 macrumors newbie

May 15, 2004
    Hello, i need your help to try and decide what mac should i buy. It`ll be my first mac ever :) . I want to try keep my price as low as possible. Ill be using the mac to run :

Macromedia Studio MX 2004
    Adobe Creative Suite
    Video editing (maby Final cut Pro)
    Maya 5.0

The option i was thinking about to get is :

A) Ibook 14" - 768 ram - 1.2 ghz g4 - 60 gigs Or the same specs on the 1ghz Version.

B)Powerbook 12" 512 ram - 1.33 ghz - 60 gigs

c) Powerpc 1.2 ghz - 1000 ram or the dual 1.2 ghz with 512 ram .

Note : that im planing to connect a 17" sony lcd dsiplay with vga conection with i already have. and that i could also go with a 3.0 P4 system for the same price. Its a relly tuff decition !

The laptops would be nice, but if they can`t cut it im going to have to go with one of the power pcs . ve always wanted to have a laptop. the screen sze of the laptop is not important thince i already have a nice screen at home.

any of the systems i get will make a big difrence i think i conparsion to what i have right now :

Atholon 1.2 ghz
    20 gig hd
    256 ram
    win xp

Thanks for any help possibale !

Take care ! :)
  2. stoid macrumors 601

Feb 17, 2002
    So long, and thanks for all the fish!
    Unless you need portability, get a desktop machine. Period.
  3. Bhennies macrumors 6502

Mar 20, 2004
    NYC & Baltimore
    I'm running everything you're running except for final cut and Maya (but I am running Pro Tools which is no joke). My new Powerbook is pretty impressive- not a powerhouse but quite capable. However, it is wonderful havig a portable machine! This is my first laptop, so I didn't think I would need the portability before I bought it, but now that I have it- I don't think I could be without it. I've taken it all over the city- to the computer store to get RAM in it, to my friend's house to work on a website- etc. etc.

The Powerbook- especially with a 7200 RPM firewire 800 boot disk will be fully capable and a hell of a lot more portable than a desktop. I am planning to buy the 23" HD monitor when they are updated for home use as well. good luck!

EDIT: I have a friend who runs a very successful video company (commercials for Sprite etc.) and they edit everything on Powerbook 867's with external FW HD's. You have to realize that here on Macrumors- a lot of the responses you get are from people who lust for power even when unessecary.
  4. cyks macrumors 68020

Jul 24, 2002
    Westchester County, NY
    I just bought the 12"PB... I opted for the 80G 5400RPM drive.. only 256M RAM (bought another 512 from Crucial)... and I must say, I'm loving it.
    I'm using all the same software that you would be- and have not run into any problems yet (although more RAM would be nice).

I have a desktop that's a few years old... Dual 1Ghz, 1.25RAM... and while the desktop does show an advantage on MacBench- it's barely...PBook is (roughly) 90-95% of the speed (basically meaning- you can't tell from use- although I'm sure render times would be noticably different).
    My point is- while it may not be the latest and greatest dual G5.... it does stand very well against the older dual G4 models. And if you don't need the absolute fastest out there- it's a great little system.
  5. Chip NoVaMac macrumors G3

Chip NoVaMac

Dec 25, 2003
    Northern Virginia
    I use a 12" PB rev. B, and use the Creative Suite CS quit a bit (mostly InDesign and some Photoshop). 512mb has been enough for most uses. It is only when I want to work with Canon RAW files that I find 512mb a bit limiting.
  6. xalex1 thread starter macrumors newbie

May 15, 2004
    Thnaks for your help guys ! This is a cool forum !

Hey another little question, What type of memory can i get for the PB that is not the mac one. ? I noticed cyks said he was using crucial ? Cand you give the exact specification of the memory please. to see how muchis it going to be !
  7. James Craner macrumors 68000

James Craner

Sep 13, 2002
    Bristol, UK
    One of the nice things about the crucial website is you just specify what mac you have and it will recommend compatible memory. Here is the link:>
  8. Bhennies macrumors 6502

Mar 20, 2004
    NYC & Baltimore
    crucial is pretty expensive for PB RAM right now...

crucial is very nice RAM, but I recently purchased RAM from digital society here in NYC 1gig for 350 installed with a lifetime warranty (lifetime RAM). Crucial is pretty expensive right now.
  9. Mr. Anderson Moderator emeritus

Mr. Anderson

Nov 1, 2001
    Doing the animation and Maya you need as much power as possible. Otherwise, you'll be waiting quite a bit while the machine renders.

10. titaniumducky macrumors 6502a

Nov 22, 2003
    This is considering your budget:

If you need the portability, go 12" iBook (1 GHz)

If not, go for a refurbished G5. The 1.6 G5 (refurbished) is selling for $1399 right now from Apple! That's a steal, and you get a full warranty, etc. I've had good experiences with Apple's refurbs so far. It comes with an 80 GB HD and 256 MB of RAM. You can pick up some more RAM (at least 512, for you I recommend a Gig) fairly cheap. Go! Grab it now!

Apple's refurbs are located here:

Go to the Apple's Online Store (
    Find the "Special Deals" button (red).
    Find the refurb G5s. They disappear, but just observe and you'll probably see one eventually reappear.
  11. xalex1 thread starter macrumors newbie

May 15, 2004
    The other day i had tthe chance to play around with the mac g4 1.2 desctop and the mac g5 1.6ghz desktop , and it seemed to me that the g4 performed equal as the g5 or maybe even better.. I might be wrong, nnot sure.
  12. xalex1 thread starter macrumors newbie

May 15, 2004
    new question

Some new questions :)

*Ive been looking at the powerbook 15" , now do you people think there is diffrences in performance between the 1.33 mhz 12" and the 1.33 mhz 15" ?

*Whats a better buy ? Powerbook 15" 1.33mhz or imac 17" wichone is the fastest ?

13. xalex1 thread starter macrumors newbie

May 15, 2004
    Thanks for the help

Thanks for all the help people, im proud to say that im a new powerbook 15 inch owner. this little computer is incredible. it the 1.33 ghz model. now the next thing i have to do is get me some ram. I curantly have only 256. planing on buyin a 512 module.

Thanks agin.
  14. Macmaniac macrumors 68040

Have a lot of fun with your new 15in PB, its a great machine! Make sure you get AppleCare for it because Laptops always have a greater tendency to break because they are moved around a lot! Having 3 years of peace of mind is a good idea. Have fun and get RAM;)
  15. dvdh macrumors 6502

Apr 6, 2004
    Possibly Hold off on the AppleCare . .

If you think that you are going to be doing a lot of FCP work, I would hold off on purchasing AppleCare and divert that cash towards a faster external drive (it makes a huge difference when editting and will prevent your laptop drive from working constantly) Just make sure you sign up for Apple Care before the first year is up.

Edit: About Maya: the optimization of OpenGL in Maya is great, so you should have no problem on the Pbook unless you are planning to do some insanely high poly and high texture size work.
  16. Steven1621 macrumors 6502a

Apr 10, 2003
    exactly. if you need power, get the G5. the G4 notebooks can't even compare. get as much ram as you can as well.