mac for medicine?

Discussion in 'Buying Tips, Advice and Discussion (archive)' started by medmac, Oct 20, 2004.

1. medmac macrumors newbie

Oct 20, 2004
    Hi Mac Friends!

Going to medical school in Austria next year.
    need some help...

Is mac appropriate for medical school?

Any medical/EMS student or professional out there who can give me a sincere advise?

question no. 2: what would you go for between 12" PB (more portable on campus) and 15" PB (larger screen , maybe more suitable for medical images)?

Thanks in advance for your kind suggestions!!
  2. JeffTL macrumors 6502a

Dec 18, 2003
    I don't know anything about med school in particular, but for education in general you can't beat a Mac. I think some law schools use PC-only bootable-floppy testing software (don't know about medical schools) but for stuff like that one can get a rather cheap used PC laptop off eBay or something and use a Mac for everything else.
  3. russed macrumors 68000

Jan 16, 2004
    London, England
    i would say a mac is an excellent choice. if you really needed to run a windoze programme you could use virtual pc or even just use a uni computer.

i use a 12" pb as my full time computer and it is just fine. occasionally i wish i had a slightly bigger screen but i havent has so many problems. i can use photoshop just fine etc.

asfor portability the 12" size is really good as it is A4 size and so fits in well with paper etc. just make sure you get a decent bag to carry it around in as it is too nice to damage! also the weight is really nice!
  4. yellow Moderator emeritus

Oct 21, 2003
    Portland, OR
    I would love to say that it's fine to have a Mac, as frankly, I'd rather you bought a Mac then a WinTelThon.

But I work in a top 3 (in the US) teaching hospital and the Macs here are in a significant minority. All applications are tailored to the Windows market and all n00b med students get Dell laptops. I think your best bet would be to contact your med school and find out exactly what applications they require you to be able to use and whether they are Mac compatible.
  5. wdlove macrumors P6

Oct 20, 2002
    Medicine is higly scientific. MIT is major user of the Mac. The Palm is compatable with the Mac, it has a lot of software that is valuable to physicians.