Mac for the Kiddies?

Discussion in 'Buying Tips and Advice' started by dsnort, Sep 26, 2006.

1. dsnort macrumors 68000

dsnort

My children ave expressed their desire for computer for xmas. Naturally, I want to get them a Mac, but I can't justify spending a ton of money on this comp.
    Should I get them a low end iMac, or a mini?
    Also, does Apple usually run any holiday specials?
    Elementary students qualify for the edu discount?
    Do teachers? ( My wife teaches middle school)
    Thanks for any help

2. miles01110 macrumors Core

miles01110

A low end iMac should be fine, unless you already have a monitor you can hook up to the mini.

Your wife will qualify for the education discount. I can't recall any major holiday promotions from Apple, but then again I haven't paid much attention come holiday time.

3. dmw007 macrumors G4

dmw007

I think that the 2GHz Core 2 Duo 17" iMac would be a nice computer for your kids dsnort. :)

Your wife should be eligible for the education discount, but I do not believe that your kids are. :)

4. balamw Moderator

balamw

Staff Member

Get the iMac. My kids have the 17" Core Duo and they love it. (It doubles as a living room computer and is hooked up to an HDTV).

You can look for promotional coupons (last year one of my credit cards had a 10% off $300 or more from Apple.com) or you can just buy refurb or from the EDU store since you qualify.

Check out this thread with lots of other tips for keeping the Mac safe in the hands of the little monsters. http://forums.macrumors.com/showthread.php?t=231293&highlight=amin

B

5. extraextra macrumors 68000

extraextra

The low-end 17" iMac should be good. Unless you wanted bluetooth and front row, then you'd have to get the other 17".

6. Chundles macrumors G4

Chundles

The low end iMac has Front Row - it doesn't have the remote but that is available for separate purchase or part of the BTO options.

7. pianoman macrumors 68000

pianoman

go with the 17" iMac - whichever is most cost effective for you (Bluetooth, Front Row, etc.).

Apple has offered 10% off the day after Thanksgiving. i got my first iPod the day after Thanksgiving a few years ago for 10% off. whether or not they still do this, i'm unsure, but your wife qualifies for the education discount regardless.

8. extraextra macrumors 68000

extraextra

Oops, thanks for correcting me!

9. bluewire macrumors member

dsnort,

if its for young kids, I'd just get a used g4 iMac or even a refurb'ed iMac. You'll save yourself money...as the computer may take a pounding...otherwise the 17" iMac would be a good choices if you don't already have a monitor. If you do, go with a mini.