Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Cgrichyrich

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Apr 25, 2012
Hello,

As the title says above I would like purchase a make that I can play World of Warcraft on and also be able to play it on ultra. I know this is easily achievable with purchased parts in the PC market. I have tried windows 8 and even after trying the new windows I have to say I still prefer the Mac OSX much better its seems much more streamlined and overall just make sense. With this computer I would also like to be able to record WoW gameplay in HD and use said computer for video editing to post guild videos on youtube etc..

Any sugest would be gratefully appreciated,
cgrichyrich

Yebubbleman

macrumors 603
May 20, 2010
Los Angeles, CA
Hello,

As the title says above I would like purchase a make that I can play World of Warcraft on and also be able to play it on ultra. I know this is easily achievable with purchased parts in the PC market. I have tried windows 8 and even after trying the new windows I have to say I still prefer the Mac OSX much better its seems much more streamlined and overall just make sense. With this computer I would also like to be able to record WoW gameplay in HD and use said computer for video editing to post guild videos on youtube etc..

Any sugest would be gratefully appreciated,
cgrichyrich

iMac 27", max out the video card (GTX 680MX 2GB), and storage (3TB Fusion), buy the RAM aftermarket. Go with 2012 over 2011 and earlier. WoW likely won't care about the Core i7 bump, but it'll help with video editing. Done and done.

Cgrichyrich

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Apr 25, 2012
The only questions I have is how is the heat going to be on the Imac and would it just be better to get or wait for a new Mac Pro? I would like to be able to upgrade graphics cards in the future and have two monitors as well. Probable should have put this in my original post.

Thanks for the quick replie.

phoenixsan

macrumors 65816
Oct 19, 2012
I think....

a) The Mac Pro 2013 possible existence is based in a comment of Tim Cook. Will or will not come to the light. Also, can come in a different time frame:( ie date)

b) Having saying the latter, I think you will be good served with a iMac 27 2012, with maxed out GPU, Fusion drive (3 TB better to have ample room to store the videos you want to edit). Max out the RAM, with aftermarket RAM

c)Maybe you can wait to see some benchmark in WoW running in similar hardware. And about heat dissipation, I suppose you will not use the computer in a 24/7 basis, so you can be fine in that sense:):apple:

cluthz

macrumors 68040
Jun 15, 2004
Norway
The video card is never the issue while recording high res material, the HD is.
1680x1050 at 60 FPS requires almost 160MB/sec and only SSD or a raid can keep up with that.
1920x1080 @30FPS will be around 100mb/sec and a normal HD will still be too slow to keep a consistent framerate.
hdusewhenrecording.png

Cgrichyrich

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Apr 25, 2012
I have a early 2011 Macbook pro 15' with the upgraded graphics card and the i7. If I replaced the hard drive with a SSD and added in 16gb of ram do you think I would even need to get a new computer?

Thanks

MacGamerHQ

macrumors member
Sep 25, 2012
Lyon, France
I have a early 2011 Macbook pro 15' with the upgraded graphics card and the i7. If I replaced the hard drive with a SSD and added in 16gb of ram do you think I would even need to get a new computer?

Thanks

This may sound not helpful but you should test recording at 720p, max settings with what you have. If the result is close to acceptable, than I would advice keeping your macbook pro and upgrading what you can...

With an i7 2600K and an HD 6870, I can record on Mac OSX ML at 720p at around 50fps Guild Wars 2 gameplay and it runs fine (I will upload a couple of videos soon).

The resolution plays a huge part, as does the recording software.... What do you plan to use?

cluthz

macrumors 68040
Jun 15, 2004
Norway

Thanks

An SSD would help as a 2.5" laptop HD would struggle.
If you have 8GB RAM now, then you have snuff.

Why dont you try with your machine in it's current state and report back here.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.