Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

JT.

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Dec 3, 2005
I need some help. My uncle has lent me his ipod mini so I can get the music I like off it and put it on my computer, the problem is that the ipod is formatted for a mac and I use a PC. Is there any way I can get the music off the ipod and onto my computer? Obviously reformatting the ipod for a PC will mean I lose all the songs and then my uncle won't be able to put the music back on it for me anyway because he uses a mac.

is it possible?

mad jew

Moderator emeritus
Apr 3, 2004
Adelaide, Australia
I imagine MacDrive could work but it wouldn't be worth the US$50 to find out. :eek:

I'm not sure this is possible. Could you format it for Windows and then send it back to him to re-sync it with his library (it'll work fine) and then get it back on your PC? :)

JT.

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Dec 3, 2005
mad jew said:
I imagine MacDrive could work but it wouldn't be worth the US$50 to find out. :eek:

I'm not sure this is possible. Could you format it for Windows and then send it back to him to re-sync it with his library (it'll work fine) and then get it back on your PC? :)
I've only got the ipod for the weekend and don't really want to spend US$50 just to get music off the thing.

Any other ideas?

cvalda

macrumors member
Nov 27, 2005
chicago, il
You're going to need a program to do it, I think. Try http://www.downloads.com as they have plenty iPod/iTunes programs.

I was told by the Mac Geniuses at the store that if the iPod is formatted to Fat32, it should sync fine with both PCs and Macs. Totally wrong. Totally, totally wrong.

mad jew

Moderator emeritus
Apr 3, 2004
Adelaide, Australia
cvalda said:
I was told by the Mac Geniuses at the store that if the iPod is formatted to Fat32, it should sync fine with both PCs and Macs. Totally wrong. Totally, totally wrong.

My FAT32 iPod works seamlessly with my Mac and my PC. :confused:

The PC formatted iPod is the FAT32 one and the iPod in question here is a Mac-formatted one AFAIK. :(

steve_hill4

macrumors 68000
May 15, 2005
NG9, England
I hate to say this, but I have to remind you that owning music you have not purchased is illegal. If you do not have the originals, you are potentially breaking the law. Just a warning.

This always poses the problem though, Windows formatted discs read fine on Macs, but Mac formatted are more problematic under Windows. Microsoft, is it too much to ask you to swallow your pride and support HFS/HFS+?

Chundles

macrumors G5
Jul 4, 2005
cvalda said:
You're going to need a program to do it, I think. Try http://www.downloads.com as they have plenty iPod/iTunes programs.

Totally right. Fat32 can be read and written by PC and Mac. I'm doing it right now.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.