Mac FPS Gaming site only? Viable idea?

Discussion in 'Games' started by CannonFodder, Feb 29, 2004.

1. CannonFodder macrumors member

Feb 29, 2004
    Just wondering what people would think of a Mac site that focused JUST on FPS games and all the things that might go with that for the Mac solely.

I'm in the process of setting up such a site, and wold LOVE the feedback.

While I may be new here, I'm by no means new to the mac FPS world :)

What sort of things would make such a site popular in YOUR eyes?

2. 3-22 macrumors regular

Nov 19, 2002
    Would it just focus on playing games or the development of FPS games on the Mac platform? If it was on the development (coding) of FPS games it would be interesting to me anyway, but otherwise I can get enough game info on
  3. Benjamin macrumors 6502a

Oct 27, 2003
    Portland, OR
    If you made the site like.. how.. say gamespy is set up or.. planet blah is set up then yes, otherwise i dont' think there will be a lot of traffic to the site since IMG is kinda Owns that part of software.
  4. CannonFodder thread starter macrumors member

Feb 29, 2004
    As far as the whole "GameSpy" or "PlanetWhatevergame" goes, that is part of my intent (obviously they have the resources to do alot more than I will be able to) but my intent is to offer alot of the same, but only in a Mac-Centric way...

Games come out, and for some reason or another we're left in the dust because yet another PC patch has surfaced that breaks compatibility with us. I want those servers that are Mac friendly well known...

I want for any Mac related clan out there to have a common place to go, to be in the presence of other Mac gamers.

I'd like to have one place where ANY and ALL Mac friendly mods for a game are well known.

Just some simplistic ideals, but I hope they get the point across. if you think there can be only one Gaming site in the world to cater to us, then fine. IMG does do a very good job of it.

If you don't mind a site that caters to JUST the FPS crowd, then that's fine too, and I hope to see you around.
  5. crazzyeddie macrumors 68030

Dec 7, 2002
    Florida, USA
    So the site would help Mac gamers by listing Mac friendly servers and giving Mac people a place to recruit other Mac gamers and such for clans?

What would the site offer that something like GameRanger doesnt?
  6. CannonFodder thread starter macrumors member

Feb 29, 2004

At the best, an IRC channel, or game launchable server status pages. I don't plan on coding up a chatroom like GR has. So in most ways, it would be duplicating SOME function that GR has available.

Alot of people however DON'T use GameRanger. They use Only Mortal or the like to just browse servers and play.
  7. crazzyeddie macrumors 68030

Dec 7, 2002
    Florida, USA
    Will you be targeting more of the Mac-made community? Like mods, news and such thats not from big game developers?
    (I know that IMG is well-known for only reporting on big game companies and initial releases.)

Also, what format will the site use? One main page that then has links for pages relating to specific games? Thats something that IMG is lacking, it only has one main page, with very little resources for individual games. How about configs for achieving playable frame rates? And frame rate comparisons? How broad of a site are you looking to build?
  8. CannonFodder thread starter macrumors member

Feb 29, 2004
    Well, being a current member of a Mod team for a Quake 3 based mod(a Mac friendly mod at that), that will certainly be one focus of the site.

I know how difficult it is at times for a Mod to get the PR or recognition it might need.

Mac-Centric tweaks and configuration will definitely be a part of the site, as they are a huge part of ANY FPS game. Benchmarks as well, from as many different types of systems as possible, using accepted and standard benchmarking utilities/methods.

Think of Mike Breeden's ( CPU or Video Card database, but only for games.

and yes, if there's an FPS out for the Mac, I'd like it to have it own separate page.

I'd like for the site to be as All-encompassing as it can possibly be, to benefit ANY FPS gamer of the Mac platform. Not just the ones I personally like, but all of them. Granted, I'll need to find help to pull it off..but hopefully that will come in time.
  9. crazzyeddie macrumors 68030

Dec 7, 2002
    Florida, USA
    I think from what youre describing the site is a great idea! The Mac community is really lacking game-specific sites and resources. I think input from more gamers would really help out this great cause if they have any more suggestions!
  10. Tiauguinho macrumors 6502a

Mar 5, 2002
    The Netherlands
    I really think that this is a good idea!

I've created with Zenith a clan for Unreal Tournament some months ago and we are curently moving ourselfes to UT2k4. Be sure to check it out at Team G5. I offer all the help you might need (tips, game strategy, etc etc).

Anxious to see this site coming. Feel free to contact me if you need anything!
  11. MrMacMan macrumors 604

Jul 4, 2001
    1 Block away from NYC.
    Good idea.

Could work with reviews of games people could play, severs they could play on and of coarse a user forum...

If you can do that, it would work great.
  12. Jaykay macrumors 6502a

Dec 1, 2002
    Sounds good. And i assume some forums and places where people can share their own maps and such...
  13. LoadRunner macrumors member

Dec 20, 2003
    Manhaton Beach California
    Your original post is interesting, but perhaps you could tell us more about your idea? I would like to know more detail, and why user would come to your site over another. I play allot of q3a, why would I do on your site? Do you just plan on being a list for mods, a link list, or more like a one stop shop, or kind of like a collage of data from many different sites. Sense every thing changes how will you keep up to date?
    I site for mac gamer could be very useful, but by making a mac exclusive site your site incerage seperation between the 3 os groups? I hang out in quake3world, and by being part of the same community it gives me a mac user a chance to interact with pc user in a constructive way. We can build friend ships with any one in the community. Mac user can add to the community, and we can gain pc user's insights.
  14. AssassinOfGates macrumors 6502

Jul 17, 2002
    A cardboard box.
    About the whole clan members thing there are already 2 sites out like that.

My personal favorite is and then there is

Those might inspire you. As for the latest news, it'd be nice to have some stories that IMG doesn't have, if thats possible, but PLEASE don't make a failed attempt like did.
  15. CannonFodder thread starter macrumors member

Feb 29, 2004

My goal is to become the 'one-stop shop' for any of the fps games on the Mac, and a central place for people to find out about all of the different games and mods for them.

It's not to alienate our platform from the others, by any means, and most of the configuration tweaks and whatnot are applicable to any platform, not just ours. The aim isn't to turn this into a "Mac rule" site. Just make it easier for us to find what we need, and hopefully pick up some things that we haven't heard of or know....

JayKay & MrMacMan: Forums are already in, and yes, maps/mods and such will definitely have a place on the site. If I could host a server for every game out there I would, so the servers that I do run currently are for games that I play and enjoy :) That could change though depending how things go.

AssassinofGates: I'll check out those sites. I'm not out to steal content from other sites or anything like that, but some ideas won't hurt.
    IMG has a pretty good inside track on those things, but that is a goal.

Right now, I'm one person working on it only. I have one offer for some design work help and such a month from now.

If anyone wants to lend a hand with content and such, please don't hesitate to get in touch with me and I'll get you set up and we can discuss everything.
    The more people that get involved the faster the site gets out there and becomes of use.
  16. LoadRunner macrumors member

Dec 20, 2003
    Manhaton Beach California
    Well do you have all the tools needed to make your site: a server, band with, a domain name, most important some one who know how to make a secure data base.

Considering the amount of pc mod developers it might be worthwhile to make the page tempting to use. Because if they were to mange their own content then there less for you to maintain.
  17. Santaduck macrumors 6502a

Oct 21, 2003
    too strong of a focus would undermine your efforts, as there are many other potentially mac-friendly mods that would be scared away by the appearance (or actual occurrence) of partisanship by the website.

there are mac gaming sites with forum areas dedicated to various fps issues... what void are you wishing to fill?

do you actually want a mac fps mod site?

or just more promo for your mod?

I'm speaking from long time unofficial mac promotion (and problem-solving) of the fps UT mod tactical ops ( ), and currently from the mac side of the UT2k3/4 semirealism mod Frag.Ops. ( ). I hear you on a general feeling for some "need," but growing a community loyal to your site, esp. a brand new one, takes time. Sometimes, spinoffs are easier in this regard... in which case you could look at inside mac gaming forums, or even the gaming arm of the macaddict forums, and others.

I offer the caution only because it sounds like your strategy is "we will build it and they will come," which is sort of an insular way of going about it. You should reach out more to the existing communities... I know you're trying to here, but macrumors forums is probably only a small starting point, and outreach by asking for help sounds like a challenging way to go about it.

I say go for it, and keep an open mind & keep adapting to, and seeking, opportunities (and people resources) for growth.

--Santaduck mac - fps semirealism mod help
  18. CannonFodder thread starter macrumors member

Feb 29, 2004
    I guess one big thing is the fact that you can't really get alll the information you might need from an all encompassing forum, like IMGs for instance. Their forums are pretty general, with many different topics ranging from The Sims to Nascar 2003 discussions, with some FPS conversation mixed in, and no organization or focus on the content I'd like to be creating.

At this point I'm trying to start out small as my own time is semi-limited currently due to a full time job and family, and as of now I'm the only person to work on the site. As for reaching out, I didn't think the best place to start out doing that was IMG. At least not at this point when I don't have ANY useful content up. I'm sure I'd get a worse reaction there than I would at a site like this. Once I get some content and more of an actual site, that's when I'll make it a little more known elsewhere, as I certainly don't expect people to just flock to it when the doors open :)

Each game will have it's own area, and within that any of the related mods and relevant info, which will hopefully be greatly added to by any sort of community that may build itself there. I know it's going to be difficult to become 100% unique, if not impossible, and I've definitely got my work cut out for me.

I'm not out for this to some elitist site, just a helpful one.
  19. Vlade macrumors 6502a

Feb 2, 2003
    Meadville, PA
    I think it would be great if you made a site dedicated to mac gaming, sort of lime IMG but it would cover shareware and freeware. I have a new game called GL Golf coming out tonight or tomorrow (final beta test of the finished version going on now) and I am going to spend hours promoting the game, I think the game is good enough to get a review or something from IMG, but smaller games won't be able to and they need publicity to sell, its tough being a shareware developer.