Mac Freezing Up...

Discussion in 'Mac Help/Tips' started by Warp Coil, Feb 28, 2003.

1. Warp Coil macrumors newbie

Okay, I'm really confused about the latest problem with my Mac... for the past few days now, it seems to freeze up. But it's very strange... I'll be using an application or surfing the web when, randomly, the screen with flash real quick. The computer freezes up entirely. Then, one or two seconds later, the screen flashes once again and it un-freezes and allows me to continue my work. It will do this sometimes two or three times an hour. And if I happen to be doing something at the exact moment that this flash occurs (say I'm typing something, or trying to open or save a file), the computer freezes up and stays that way. I'm forced to re-boot and wait for Disk First Aid to do its thing. I get no error messages. First Aid doesn't tell me anything. I've run Norton Antivirus (granted, a very old and outdated version but it's all I have for the moment) and nothing comes up. It's very strange.

It happens most of the time when I'm online. And I'm having enough trouble with that in it of itself. Netscape crashes regularly, but I have to use it because IE freezes up when I use it (another strange case of my computer freezing).

I'm really confused and very tired of the problem... I had been debating whether or not I should upgrade to OS X and see if my computer is more stable that way. But I worry if it'll just make my computer slower... I also don't know if my ISP has internet software for OS X (I have Verizon DSL).

Anybody got any ideas about how to remedy this problem? Any assistance would be greatly appreciated!

(in case it helps, I have a PowerMac G4 466mhz running OS 9.2)

2. Dont Hurt Me macrumors 603

Dont Hurt Me

have you ever cleaned out your machine? also i would maybe pull out the video card make sure its clean and put it back in making sure it is making a good connection with all the contacts. just a off the wall idea.

3. bidge macrumors 6502

Your machine would run OS X with no problems and would be way more stable.

It's definitely worth looking into.

4. railthinner macrumors regular

while this could be a hundred things, I'll tell you that this sounds similar to the trouble I had before the hard drive in my imac died. I recommend backing up your treasured files.

Along with checking connections, running Norton's (disk doctor and speed disk) etc, it never hurts to have more storage. You could install another drive and boot from it to see if the problem persists.

Other thoughts: remove any non-stock peripherals, including RAM, etc. and see if problem persists. Put them back one at a time--maybe you'll find the pest. Run through the extension routine off turning off, starting up, problem gone? turn back on, one at a time....... Maybe your power supply has gone bad. Maybe your video card. maybe maybe maybe.

5. iJon macrumors 604

iJon

you dont need software really to run dsl. just gotta know your info. only problem you would encounter is if you connected to dsl through a usb cable, then you may have a problem. just get your name, and password, and just apply to mac os x. only internet that has problems is satellite, which i have gotten to work with macs with a little work.

iJon

6. MrMacMan macrumors 604

MrMacMan

Hey this is my own personnaly problem with my last machiene.

Are you sure it isn't the monitor? My iMac 233 flashed black and turned back on in a split second and had nothing to do with anything, just the crappy old monitor.

7. Warp Coil thread starter macrumors newbie

Thanks for all of your suggestions... I will play around with it to see if I can take care of the problem. I will also back-up my system just in case these are early warning signs of a bigger problem. And it's definitely not just the monitor... my whole system freezes when this happens.

8. Warp Coil thread starter macrumors newbie

Okay... I've backed up some of my more important files on my computer (just in case something horrible happens). I've opened up the computer and cleaned it out. I removed the RAM and reinstalled it to make sure it was all connected properly. I ran Norton and it didn't find any viruses. I turned off my extensions then turned them back on one by one.

And the problem won't go away.

I've noticed that the computer tends to freeze up when I'm doing something very memory and processor heavy... like if I'm in Photoshop, it'll totally freeze up. If I can hear the processor chirping away, my computer will likely freeze up. It happened just a few minutes ago, in fact. I could hear the computer making its regular noises, and it froze up. Then unfroze. Then froze again. Then unfroze. By this point, my computer stopped making noise, and everything was fine. If the computer is quiet and just sitting still, it likely won't happen.

Does this sound like a hard drive problem? A problem with the processor? Anybody have any clues? I really don't think this is a software issue... (or maybe it is, I don't know anything....)

9. Dont Hurt Me macrumors 603

Dont Hurt Me

Did you reset the video card? and when you pulled out the ram were you careful as to not touch it and ground yourself?Hope you didnt just grab it and finger it because touching ram can kill it. STATIC charge and RAM dont mix well, good luck

10. railthinner macrumors regular

reset PRAM?
    rebuild destop?

did you run disk doctor and speed disk? someone correct me if I'm wrong please, but if you've got bad blocks on your hard drive speed disk will set them aside so your machine won't recognize it. note: only run speed disk after disk doctor. Of course if there is a mechanical issue with your drive, that won't fix it.

I may be hung up on this drive issue because it's something I've experienced, but also, I really doubt it's your processor or RAM-- just because it seems you'd totally bomb in that case. Again, I can't stand by that 100%. If it were me I'd try running off another drive, but I hate taking the risk of steering someone else wrong. proceed at your own discretion.

If you really get fed up with the troubleshooting you can always take it in, but I always prefer the satisfaction of solving something on my own. don't you?

11. Warp Coil thread starter macrumors newbie

Okay.... so I've reset my PRAM and also installed a new copy of Norton Systemworks. I ran AntiVirus, Disk Doctor and Speed Disk. It found all sorts of problems and corrected them.

But this problem has not gone away. It's still here. I'm running out of ideas, and feel compelled to call Apple for help (but I'm really not in the mood to be charged an extraordinary amount of money for a stupid telephone call that may or my not solve the problem).