Mac Freezing

Discussion in 'macOS' started by stillblue, Dec 5, 2006.

1. stillblue macrumors newbie

Dec 5, 2006
    I had OS 10.3 when I started experiencing random freezes and crashes. It first happened when I went online to check my email so I assumed it was the browser or something internet related. I upgraded the OS to 10.4 but that didn't help. The crashes also happen randomly (going to the dock, opening another program, opening a folder, clicking on a file, etc.). I tried zapping the PRAM, removing all preference lists, creating a new user and going under that, unplugging anything attached to the Mac... but the computer still crashes. I don't know what to do, I've only had this Mac for 2 years and up until a few weeks ago it was fine. But I didn't install anything or do anything different to warrant crashing. Can anyone help or tell me what to do?
  2. yellow Moderator emeritus

Oct 21, 2003
    Portland, OR
  3. stillblue thread starter macrumors newbie

Dec 5, 2006
    The crashing does happen in another user. I'll check the RAM when I get home and see if that's the problem. I also found this:

which basically says it's a hardware problem and I'll check on that as well. Hopefully one of those two will be the problem (and I think I'd rather it be the memory...)

4. davidarb macrumors newbie

Sep 12, 2005
    Backup now

FYI, I had some similar problems - just random beach ball stuff. Then this Saturday (3 days after my Mac's 1 year anniversary) the HD just failed completely. No warnings, errors, loud sounds, anything....just here one minute, gone the next. The "genious" at the bar had no idea. I ran the extended HW diagnostics, everything passed (including, ironically Mass Storage).

Anyway, of course it wasn't backed up properly so now (trying) to get my stuff recovered..seriously not fun. I strongly recommend doing a full backup if you haven't already...I wish I had.

Good luck with it.
  5. Dont Hurt Me macrumors 603

Dont Hurt Me

Dec 21, 2002
    Yahooville S.C.
    What machine do you own?