Mac-friendly colleges?

Discussion in 'Community' started by NEoPHYte31, Aug 27, 2004.

1. NEoPHYte31 macrumors newbie

Jan 31, 2004
    I'm a senior in highschool right now and will be headed to college next year. Being a mac-geek and all, i'm really thinking about attending a university that is mac friendly.

Do you guys know of any? Hopefully they're relatively prestigious like NYU, Vanderbilt or UCLA.
  2. iJon macrumors 604

Feb 7, 2002
    i really woudln't base you decision on that unless you going into print, graphics, or journalism and then they don't have macs. if they don't have macs in a journalism or graphic design department then they are obviously mistaken. other than that, macs have become so compatable with everything, its hardly a problem. I have seen about 5 macs total at my campus since school started this week. I've conected to every network, right now im on wireless waiting for class to start. i would base your decision on a school that is best for you and not your mac.

3. quackattack macrumors 6502a

Aug 13, 2004
    Boise, ID
    I go to the U of O and it is very mac friendly. The journalism department uses macs exclusively. Also the school book store sells more mac software and accesories than some mac stores. But I don't think that should be the basis for choosinig a school to attend for four years...
  4. r6girl Administrator/Editor

Staff Member

Sep 6, 2003
    i think there was another thread about mac-friendly colleges recently, but i can't find it...

anyway, i went to cornell univ. and at the time (early-mid 90's) it was mac-friendly. i worked at the student IT help desk in my senior year, and the mac support staff was larger than the pc support staff (i was on the mac support staff). don't think that's changed, but a look at their web site might help...

ijon is right - compatibility is not really an issue anymore and the quality of the education for you is most important, but i can see if you want to help "support" a school that is supportive of macs...

have fun looking for the right college! i encourage as many trips to the schools you're looking at as possible. it helps get a feel for the environment and where you feel most comfortable. talking to students and professors during those visits can be a great resource as well.

5. Brother Michael macrumors 6502a

Brother Michael

Apr 14, 2004
    Bowling Green State University (Go Falcons!)

This is where I go. I love it here. It's a bit flat, but I can over look that. As for the original question let me put it to you this way, the University gives Mac's to it's faculty and staff.

I remember reading awhile ago that this was a Mac campus and that PC's were the outsiders. That has changed a little (there are a lot more PC labs now.).

We just bought brand new Power Mac G5's (dual 1.8) for all the major graphic design labs and video editing labs. We probably bought the last of the 17" iMac's to roll off the assembly line as we have a bunch of those now in the labs.

We are not considered by many (like the Princeton Review 351) to be a prestigous school, but screw them. We have had many successful people come out of our doors (like Blue Lou Marini...or perhaps his father I can't remember...doesn't really help my argument right?) My own professor own's one of the world's largest animatronics factory and has been interviewed on the Learning Channel when they did a special on amusment parks.

Check it out is all I am saying. Look for the following majors, Visual Communication Technologies <--that's my major, Digital Arts, Graphic Design

There are plenty of others, however that will give you a good list to go from.

BTW: quackattack, We will see you next weekend! :)
  6. fowler. macrumors 6502a

Apr 18, 2004

I think the only "pcs" are the SGI machines.

Macs everywhere.
    I'm sure it's the same for any art/design school.
  7. vraxtus macrumors 65816

Aug 4, 2004
    San Francisco, CA

Well UCSD isn't as "prestigious" as UCLA, but there's still Macs in the libraries and computer labs here. So I wouldn't worry about that too much...

Where are you looking to go?
  8. strider42 macrumors 65816

Feb 1, 2002
    define mac friendly? What do you want to be able to do. I mean, every college network will work with macs, so that's not an issue. If you have the right software, generally all your work will be compatible with PC's (specialty design applications, math and science applications or business applications may not have mac versions, but that's not the school's fault). Does the university ahve to actually have macs in their labs to be considered mac friendly?

Of course, the real question is if this is even really relevent. Don't pick a school based on their computer preferences. pick a school based on what you want to major in and what you want to get out of a school in terms of social activity, proximity, etc. Then pick a computer based on that. If you want to work in a field where they use a lot of PC only software, go get a PC and go to the right college. The colleges computer choices are pretty much the very last thing I would have on my list of important issues when considering a school. Hey, we all like macs here, but lets not let our choice of platform actually affect choices we make about our lives and long term goals. Its a freaking computer, no more, no less.

But hey, for what its worth, my Alma Mater, UC Berkeley, always had macs in the library computer lab and actively supported macs on the network. I'm sure thats true of most of the UC schools.
  9. yippy macrumors 68020

Mar 14, 2004
    Chicago, IL
    University of Illinois

I am going to the U of I and I would consider it Mac friendly.

They sell Macs in the campus computer store. They provide good insturctions for connecting to all of the university networksa and stuff from a Mac. They have Macs in some of the computer labs and I got a job at one of the university help desks BECAUSE I know Mac OS.

Oh, and did I mention their engineering is rated in the top 5 in the nation?
  10. Jovian9 macrumors 68000

Feb 19, 2003
    Planet Zebes
    Indiana University is very Mac friendly.....Macs everywhere. And they sell them at an Apple Campus Store.
  11. themadchemist macrumors 68030

Jan 31, 2003
    Chi Town
    It depends on what you mean by "mac friendly." Professors get to decide what platform they want to use. For example, I've worked in labs loaded with PCs, but my current lab swears by Macs (when I went to talk to the professor about joining and saw the macs and iPods everywhere, I knew it was the right fit :D ).

As far as "support," you'll only get enough support to hook up to the network, no matter your platform. Most colleges & universities have networks that easily support multiple platforms and so you're fine with your Mac.

I wouldn't, however, go searching for a university that uses Macs exclusively. It's just not a very criterion on which to decide one of the most important decisions of your life. Whether there are loads of Mac computer labs or not shouldn't be a big deal if you have your own. You'll soon find the media labs, anyway, which tend to be packed with Macs, and then you'll know where to go if you need a Mac on the fly.
  12. nizz macrumors regular

Aug 10, 2004
    north philly
    Penn state

PSU is pretty mac friendly, in most computer labs, you'll see that there are about 35% macs, and 65% dells. There are also labs with only macs.

also, PSU's computer science and engineering department had some kinda deal with apple, and that ended up with all the grad students in the department receiving 15inch powerbooks.

but then again, a lot of people with mac's were pretty unhappy with the school's decision on offering the free napster service(which is only available to pc users) .... that was pretty unfair.

PSU might not sound that prestigious, but some programs are ranked pretty high in the nation, ie: nuclear engineering and industrial engineering are both 4th. That's all i know, lol, i have sucky pride for my school.

but anyways, i think you should be more worried about wireless access.
  13. NEoPHYte31 thread starter macrumors newbie

Jan 31, 2004
    I'm really not going out of my way to pick a college based on whether or not it's mac-friendly, but it would be nice. I just hate fiddling around with my mac on windows networks. It doesn't always work the first time, I get lost shares, alias missing errors, etc.

and yes, I'm thinking of going into print design / visual communication. However, I don't want to go to art school.
  14. shecky Guest

May 24, 2003
    Obviously you're not a golfer.
    RISD is mostly Mac - i have only seen PC's in the Digital Media Lab (i think for 3DS Max, etc..), and the Film/Audio/Video dept. has a bunch of SGI's and Avid systems, etc..

but if you don't want to goto art school, then thats moot anyway. I assume you are aware that almost every school in the universe describes its technology facilities on their web page.

@themadchemist: i don't know where you go to school, but professors rarely if ever get to make individual decisions on platform - it usually by department. Its not practical to have a department all Mac and one lone professor says "i am using PC!" - it doesn't work that way.
  15. iJon macrumors 604

Feb 7, 2002
    sometimes you have to do s*** like that. I am doing ad/pr through the the journalism department. basically its getting a very similar business degree, but i get to skip crap that i have learned on my own through my work. i don't really enjoy writing stories for newspapers, but im going to have to put up wit hit for a semester this year. kind of like graphic design. i almost considered it cause i do it already, but you have to take regular art class (at least at my school) but i can't draw worth s***.

Plan out your schedule well this summer and not a couple of days before orientation. I was deciding between a business degree or the journalism degree, both of which are in different schools. although it is fun just talking "fun" classes, you don't want to switch majors and find out you took a bunch of classes that just build up to more electives than you need.

if you honestly know a general area of what you want, just make sure that school will be good for you. i remember that last year i was all into selling macs and was thinking about the future. then as the year ended i realized ive been doing that for 4 years and im getting burned out. i found my new love of travel, but still love selling and business, even if its not macs. to work with that i took a nice mix of my journalism/business classes tied in with some awesome geography lessons. if you are anything like me, you will discover a lot about yourself this senior year, that is if you let yourself. geez that was long...i'm sorry

16. quackattack macrumors 6502a

Aug 13, 2004
    Boise, ID
    err.. i should say that is U of Oregon, not Ohio. Hence the duck reference. But i was wondering if this thread would stir up any rivalries ;)
  17. JeffTL macrumors 6502a

Dec 18, 2003
    University of Nebraska at Omaha is pretty Mac friendly -- the ITS department, for all their warts, does provide Mac versions of stuff like Lotus Notes.

But if you take an iBook or PowerBook anywhere there shouldn't be a problem :)
  18. jtgotsjets macrumors 6502

May 20, 2004
    Lawrence, KS
    KU is pretty mac friendly. the apple store inside the union is bigger than their PC store, and frankly, the apple part takes over the pc part. they provide instructions for both osx.2 and osx.3 when needed. the computer labs are mostly pc, but they do have g5 labs.