Mac FTP Client that can handle AS/400?

Discussion in 'Mac Apps and Mac App Store' started by Diomedes, Mar 3, 2005.

1. Diomedes macrumors 6502

Is there a Mac FTP client that can handle the AS/400 file system? So far, only Transmit seems to be able to retrieve directory/file listings from our organization's AS/400 servers. I've tried Interarchy and Viscomsoft FTP client. I'd like to evaluate some others...any recommendations?

2. MisterMe macrumors G4

MisterMe

FTP is a standard. Although some implementations comply with the FTP standard imperfectly, you access each FTP site using a standard set of commands that all FTP clients emit. Does your AS/400 use FTP? As for which client to use, you really can't go wrong with Fetch. NetFinder behaves much like the MacOS 9 Finder. RBrowser/RBrowser Lite is inspired by the NeXTstep file browser.

3. Symtex macrumors 6502a

There is no difference between AS/400 FTP then any other OS implementation. I have work 2 years with As/400. It seems like you may have permission issue that prevents you from downloading directory / file.

4. Diomedes thread starter macrumors 6502

That is not entirely correct. I have several years working on iSeries as well, but only using Windows clients.

FTP maybe a standard, but some FTP clients do not recognize the AS/400 file system when retrieving the directory/file list. Viscom just confirmed that the Mac version of their FTP client does not support the AS/400, and Peter Lewis, the developer of Interarchy, has also confirmed this.

Using a client on Windows like WS FTP Pro, I can browse the AS/400 structure easily. I have Security Officer privileges, which is the highest level. There is something about the clients I've tested (other than Transmit) that when they attempt to retrieve a file list from the AS/400, it doesn't display, so I was looking for other suggestions.

Symtex, what do you use when you need to download a file from your AS/400?