Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

thechris69

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Nov 11, 2005
Im planning to buy my imac wen the new ones are released... and since im going to put this beast in my room, my room needs a little revamping... therefore I need a new desk and chair, this is what ive got so far... any ideas/opinions on what i should have for my desk and chair would be great!

http://www.ikea.com/webapp/wcs/stor...15&categoryId=15879&chosenPartNumber=80073182

^^^this chair in white is the most likely chair I would get...^^^

i need a desk now... preferablly with a white top or glass top... just something to match a imac! and no1 mention that built for imac desk that thing is ugly:D

mactastic

macrumors 68040
Apr 24, 2003
Colly-fornia
Eh, if it was me I'd build it myself.

I'm in the plotting stages of our new entertainment center, now that my current project (a changing table for our soon-to-be-born son) is just about wrapped up.

beatsme

macrumors 65816
Oct 6, 2005
thechris69 said:
Im planning to buy my imac wen the new ones are released... and since im going to put this beast in my room, my room needs a little revamping... therefore I need a new desk and chair, this is what ive got so far... any ideas/opinions on what i should have for my desk and chair would be great!

http://www.ikea.com/webapp/wcs/stor...15&categoryId=15879&chosenPartNumber=80073182

i need a desk now... preferablly with a white top or glass top... just something to match a imac! and no1 mention that built for imac desk that thing is ugly:D

This thread might interest you...

AJ Muni

macrumors 65816
Aug 4, 2005
Miami
thechris69 said:

Thats a cool looking chair..

monke

macrumors 65816
May 30, 2005
AJ Muni said:
Thats a cool looking chair..

x2

I need a new desk chair, how well would this one work?

I'll still probably end up going back to a more 'office' like chair.

monke

macrumors 65816
May 30, 2005
thechris69 said:

It's a table but it might work:
iptable.jpg

Someone from the old ipodlounge made it

steelphantom

macrumors 6502a
Oct 15, 2005
thechris69 said:

I tried that chair out when I went to Ikea last time looking for a chair, and found it really uncomfortable. Definitely sit on it and see if you like it before you purchase it.

I have one of these and love it:

thechris69

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Nov 11, 2005
steelphantom said:
I tried that chair out when I went to Ikea last time looking for a chair, and found it really uncomfortable. Definitely sit on it and see if you like it before you purchase it.

I have one of these and love it:

ahhh noo way... i wanted the most "mac" feel to my room, and i think that chair is just perfect... what was uncomfortable? Bad back support? Because it looks kind of low... I still havent found a good desk

iGav

macrumors G3
Mar 9, 2002
20rogersc said:

Good job you didn't post a price limit . . .
[+] Click for more details

::20ROGERSC::

oooooh, I do like that, not especially surprised by the price either.

though you could make a near identical replica formed from perspex for fifty quid.

steelphantom

macrumors 6502a
Oct 15, 2005
thechris69 said:
ahhh noo way... i wanted the most "mac" feel to my room, and i think that chair is just perfect... what was uncomfortable? Bad back support? Because it looks kind of low... I still havent found a good desk

It is a nice looking chair, but yeah, there wasn't much back support, and it felt like it wasn't padded enough. (For my skinny @$$)

Xander562

macrumors 68000
Apr 2, 2006
kerryliu said:
How about this desk?
i'm sorry but i STRONGLY dislike all desks with that basic design or any deviation of it, i dont know why, I just like more table space on either side, i dont know how anyone could life with it. plus, wood looks Much better.

Reaver

macrumors 6502
Aug 23, 2006
Columbus, Ohio
all my desk and computer stuff is all clean line and no big loud looks I like it that way makes everything look nice. I dont get it when poeple buy these desk with big attachments to hold there CDs and DVDs. my stepfathers office is like this and I dont get it when I look at his desk it just looks so ugly and I wouldnt be able to work at a desk like that.

GoCubsGo

macrumors Nehalem
Feb 19, 2005
kerryliu said:
How about this desk?
Link to that desk! I'd love to see more of it!

As to the OP. That original chair you posted has a lower back, not great for long hours of sitting. It's not meant to be a chair where you spend much of your time. It is not bad, it's just not supportive enough.

It is important to know how much time you'll be spending on your computer when you buy a chair. For some, a simple fold up chair is ok because they check e-mail, pay a couple of bills, and move on. Others (like me) make a living from sitting in front of a computer and therefore need great chairs. At home my chair pretty much sucks, but I am in a transitional phase right now and spending money on a chair is silly. I'd venture to guess that by the first of the year I will be purchasing a chair that is more suitable for sitting for long periods.

Ikea in my opinion has great looking stuff but their chairs are usually neat looking, over priced, and not very comfortable for long periods of time. I've only noticed this on a few of their chairs. There was one that was $200 and it looked real great. However, I noticed that it was giving me a bit of a backache. I did sit in it for about 40 minutes. I actually went with a paper and just starting sitting. Yes...people looked, but I had to check. In the end, I think I'll spring for something in the Aeron Chairs department. Sure, it's $800 +/- for a chair, but local prices for Chiropractors is about that for a month of adjustments. ;)

thechris69

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Nov 11, 2005
ok i have to lay down some price points.... no more then 200 dollars for chair and no more then 250 for the desk... I am 15 years old btw:D For the desk. obviously I would like more desk space for homework and such.... and since my original chair idea is apparently a poor choice... chances are im going to go with a traditional office like chair... any other chair ideas would be great! the desk i knew was going to be a more difficult choice.. so if any1 has a idea about the desk that would be great to!

zwida

macrumors 6502a
Jan 5, 2001
NYC + Madison, WI
I'd consider spending all your money on the chair and using something second hand as a desk for now. The best chair you can buy will make all the difference.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.