MAC G5 for $220 a good deal?

Discussion in 'PowerPC Macs' started by Lawhcha, Nov 7, 2010.

1. macrumors newbie

specs

Dual 2.0 Ghz Processors
    1GB DDR RAM
    300GB HD
    Wifi card Installed
    GeForce FX 5200 Graphics card

Good deal? I am picking up tomorrow just wondered what you guys thought.

2. macrumors G4

flopticalcube

It's ok if you need a PPC box. The graphics card is weak. It will probably eat that much in electricity each year.

3. thread starter macrumors newbie

Don't NEED it but it would be nice to have another box. The guy was also offering an mac mini for $125 heres the specs on that.

1.42 Ghz Power PC G4 chip
    256 Mb RAM
    80 Gig Hard Drive
    Mach OS 10.4.11 Tiger

With the mini I could turn it into a media center for my TV.

4. macrumors G4

flopticalcube

Definitely less power hungry. It would need more RAM. It won't play 1080p content and will struggle with 720p.

5. wkw
    macrumors 6502

wkw

dude don't spend on single dime on a g4 or g5. totally dead. save a few more pennies and get an intel mac

6. macrumors 6502a

PPC machines are great to tinker with but i wouldnt rely on one to do anything that requires grunt. Playing any sort of media that's been encoded will require some power that the first intel mac's can deliver with ease.

7. macrumors 65816

SkippyThorson

This is not the way to respond. This is biased, and thoughtless. All I have are PPC Macs, and I get by just fine. I have never yet owned an Intel Mac in my life. They just work, and I see no dire need to replace something that works.

PPC Macs can be very useful if you don't need the latest and greatest hardware or software. They can be extremely useful and cost effective if you're just doing some light work and internet use.

Not to mention, I watch ram for Intel Macs sell for "pennies more" than $220 daily.

This is a good, correct, and well thought out response. Consider this - if your needs include a lot of video play back or graphic intensive work, even the first Intel Macs beat out the last PPC Macs. If you only occasionally watch YouTube videos, and can wait for videos to load a bit, you'll be just fine on a G5, G4 or earlier. My opinion, though, is keep at or above 1.0ghz, but it's all in personal preference.

8. macrumors newbie

Lawhcha, My Powermac G5 2.0GHZ DP 2GB Radeon 9800 runs video great from (cbs.com, fox.com, scifi.com and hulu.com). I also use my G5 with Final Cut Studio 6, adobe CS4 and Logic 9.

Apple, Fanboys and Blizzard want everyone to go intel for some stupid reason.
    Well U hardcore intel mac users cant use the think different anymore :)

Think Different

9. macrumors 68000

Nameci

Agree! PPC ain't dead yet. I love them more than the intel ones, I wish Motorola/IBM could make chips again...

10. macrumors newbie

I think that 220$ is good price for it, cause all hardware becomes cheaper, but quality also goes down. It will be work for years.