Mac Gadget

Discussion in 'Mac Accessories' started by TheMasin9, Dec 22, 2005.

1. TheMasin9 macrumors 6502a

TheMasin9

Post your idea for a dream mac gadget. I know there was a fantasy app thread a little while ago, now how about peripherals. And heck, maybe we can fulfill some peoples dreams with accessories nobody knew existed. Heres mine:

the iMat or iPad
    -plugs into a standard power source
    -dimensions are 24x18" (desktop)
    -provides the ultimate charging solution for devices, works similar to auto seeking stovetops that heat pots, except the power source seeks out batteries of cell phones, iPods, Portable computers, pdas etc.

i think i saw something along these lines for a specific computer or specific cell phone but this thing would be universal for all types of batteries. Cant wait to see some of the ideas here.

2. TheMasin9 thread starter macrumors 6502a

TheMasin9

3. Seasought macrumors 65816

Seasought

A holographic, 3D display for the Mac Mini (or a revised, more powerful mini). Instead of relying upon a hard display, your screen can be interacted with and changed in 3D space using light/lasers.

Perhaps a bit too far out there, but this always comes to my mind. :D

4. wiggy4ever macrumors member

5. adk macrumors 68000

adk

The ipod mega nano. Same size as the nano, but with 100 GB of flash memory and (somehow) a 5" Screen.

And oh yeah, it would be scratch proof.

6. TheMasin9 thread starter macrumors 6502a

TheMasin9

wow...

this thread was supposed to be somewhat realistic in scope, how do you fit a 5 inch screen in the nanos body that is what, like not even 2x3?

7. mad jew Moderator emeritus

mad jew

A light weight projector that fits snugly on top of the mini so you don't need to carry a screen. It'd be the perfect presentation machine.

8. TheMasin9 thread starter macrumors 6502a

TheMasin9

projector

i like the idea of a small projector, not mac mini specific, and if its under $200 then id really go for it!

9. mad jew Moderator emeritus

mad jew

But there already are small projectors. I'm just talking about getting one that's flush with the mini so you can just take the mini (with projector attached), a keyboard and mouse to presentations and only have to worry about a power outlet. :)

10. NYmacAttack macrumors 6502

NYmacAttack

A small projector would be nice. A small one with HD resolution would be great :D

11. TheMasin9 thread starter macrumors 6502a

TheMasin9

$$

how much are they like $500+ or down in the 200-300 range
    ?

12. After G macrumors 68000

After G

I have seen a lot of PC laptop users who bring their power supplies because the battery life on current laptops is so poor.

How about a Mac laptop that doesn't have a battery at all, or a really small battery only for saving settings instead of for having to fully power the computer?

Though I realize this is a computer thing, instead of a gadget thing.

For a gadget, I'd want a portable monitor to go with the Mac mini, so it's kinda like a laptop :)

13. TheMasin9 thread starter macrumors 6502a

TheMasin9

Batteries

i dont know how this would be possible, cuz something has to power it, you cant just have moving parts with no electrical imput. maybe a solar panel with cells on the lid, so whenever you close the lid you can charge up the solar cells?

14. adk macrumors 68000

adk

So sorry I wasn't spot on with the guidelines of your thread:rolleyes:

Anyways, being that LCDs use liquid, I'm sure theoretically there's some way to get a display to fold or roll or something.

15. mpw Guest

The ultimate iChat add-on.

One person has a 'black box' connected by USB to iChat. The 'black box' has a...err...receiver port and the 'box' has pressure sensors around the port which measure the size and shape of anything entered.

The other iChater has a similar 'box' that has instead of the 'receiver port' has a...errr...protrusion that is flexible and changes size and shape dependent on the data received from the other unit over iChat.

Now we just have to think of a use for it??

16. ChrisFromCanada macrumors 65816

ChrisFromCanada

That is where chat over the internet is going. We already use our sense of hearing, and sight. Touch, Smell, and taste will probably come with time.

17. rockandrule macrumors 6502

Either a new Newton or something along the lines of a Treo. I really want Apple to get back in the PDA market. I've been keeping my eye on some models over the years and I don't want to have to settle for a Palm when I just have a knack in the back of my mind believing that Apple will release one the day I purchase a Palm.

18. Verto macrumors 6502a

Verto

A device the size of an AirPort Express (or smaller) that would plug into a TV's antenna port, video port or something, and stream videos, photos, and music from an "iHub"(think something like a base station, Media Center PC)'s hard drive, DVD drive, or maybe also your satellite receiver (or perhaps the iHub could, following a deal with Apple-DirecTV/DISH etc, replace the official satellite receiver) while also picking up Front Row-esque files from your computer.

This would allow you to send your media from a centralized, family room-esque location to your kitchen, bedroom, etc without requiring bulky devices and a mess of cables - after all, everyone talks about media convergence, which generally focuses on the family room. This would be a Media Center-lite PC type device, if you will.

Maybe not possible right now, since this would require plugging this "small device" into both video and audio, and perhaps other, ports on your TV. So, we'll just have to have Apple come out with its own line of LCD TVs :) which would feature integration with the iHome lineup of products: the Media Center base station iHub with the usual Media Center and TiVo-esque features(minus the full blown operating system), the iHub Exress Stations, etc.

19. LeningradCowboy macrumors newbie

LeningradCowboy

Yes, a new Newton would be great. IMHO it still has the best handwriting recognition out there.

20. gooddog macrumors regular

You mean like this ?

http://www.universaldisplay.com/

I am getting tired of waiting for these FOLED displays.
    But the projector idea is pretty good.

---gooddog