mac game cheats.

Discussion in 'Games' started by fuzzy7slippers, Mar 30, 2003.

1. fuzzy7slippers macrumors member

I dont know if this topic belongs here or not. Anyway, I am having a very hard time beating anything in civilization 3. I was wondering if anyone here had any good cheats for the OS X version. All help is appreciated, this game is driving me nuts.

2. hugemullens macrumors 6502a

hugemullens

The gaming section would have been the forum to post in.

3. Vector macrumors 6502a

Vector

What type of problems are you having in Civ 3?

4. fuzzy7slippers thread starter macrumors member

I can never advance the tech as far as I want before the game ends. I want to play with all of the cool things advanced tech has to offer. I put the science funding as high as it can go without losing loads of money. I also trade for techs whenever I can.

5. Vector macrumors 6502a

Vector

I have never found any cheats for Civ 3, but this is how i normally play. I pick a civ such as rome or zululand that is expansionary, and or military. I then expand to get most of the land, only producing workers and settlers for the first part of the game. I immediatly turn research up to 100 upon beginning the game and do as much research as i want. Unless you play at one of the really hard levels, you can forget about losing money until you advance to a republic or democracy because you cannot hurry anything with money until then. I get al of the advances i want and build all of the city improvments i want until i have most of them, then i convert most of my early cities that have all improvements to wealth and recieve $2000 a turn. Since i have some many improvments, the people are mostly happy so i do not have to spend money on entertainment, and my early cities have around 20 people so some are tax collectors or entertainers. I normally get as far as nuclear subs by the 1900's or 1800's and soon after i have won by domination so i never have to worry about icbms, and the other civs are still in the industrial age.

Or you can use a saved game editor and give yourself all of them, but the only ones i know of are for pc. You would have to put your saved game on a pc and edit it and then change the type and creator code back once you put it back on your mac (its not very hard just use xfiles and make the codes match the other saved games on your mac). Or you could do it in VPC.

6. fuzzy7slippers thread starter macrumors member

Thanks alot for your help. Can you expand on that file editing a litle more. I have virtual PC, and I have the save editor. What exactly do i need to edit the file to get it to open? I am a novice at this kind of stuff so take it easy on me.

7. conceptdev macrumors regular

There is a CIV 3 thread in the mac gaming part of this board.

Link

Quite alot of these issues have been adressed over there.

8. fuzzy7slippers thread starter macrumors member

I have the save file on VPC but when I try and open it in the editor it gives me an error. Why does windows have to be so difficult.

9. Vector macrumors 6502a

Vector

There is one editor that i have used that hadmany options, but i forgot what it is called. Anyway, open the editor, load the saved game file (Civilization>Saves>name_of_saved_game), edit the parts that you want to, download xfiles from versiontracker, put the edited file into xfiles and change the type to 'GAMs' and the creator to 'Civ3' and press the change button (those codes are case sensitive). Now just make sure the saved file is in the Save folder and go play it.

10. Vector macrumors 6502a

Vector

The one that i used gave me an error but let me edit it anyway. It said not a civ 3 file, but i just pressed ok and it loaded it anyway. I will try to find the one that i used.

11. fuzzy7slippers thread starter macrumors member

I am getting an access violation when I try to open the file with the save game editor though. Maybe you can help me with this. Otherwise I have e-mailed the creator of the program to see what his thoughts are. Thanks again.

12. Vector macrumors 6502a

Vector

Try this program http://forums.civfanatics.com/showthread.php?s=&threadid=7787

13. fuzzy7slippers thread starter macrumors member

OK, I got that program loaded up and I tried to open my save file which was Lincoln, 1735 AD.SAV. The program then went on to tell me that it was not a civ3 save file. Trying to get this to work is more frustrating than actually playing the game. What do you think?

14. Vector macrumors 6502a

Vector

It should let you press ok or something after that message and then load the file anyway after a few seconds.

15. fuzzy7slippers thread starter macrumors member