Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Blakeasd

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Dec 29, 2009
Hello,
I would like to start creating games for the Mac in Xcode. I have been looking for up to date books, but have found none. All the Objective-C game development books have been for the iPhone. Does anyone know of a Mac Game Making in Xcode book or tutorial?
Thanks

GorillaPaws

macrumors 6502a
Oct 26, 2003
Richmond, VA
Do you have any previous programming experience? If not, you should probably do some searching of this site, or check out the macrumors guides on how to start programming. If you're already up-to-speed, you might want to check out this free book. It's a bit dated, but should get you going in the right direction.

szymczyk

macrumors regular
Mar 5, 2006
I recommend going with a cross-platform technology for writing Mac games. For 3D games, try Unity. Its free version lets you make games for Mac, Windows, and the Web.

For 2D games try a cross-platform game framework like SDL, SFML, or Allegro. I use SDL and OpenGL, where I use OpenGL for drawing and SDL for reading player input and creating a window. In the time you would spend learning how to read player input from the keyboard with Cocoa for the Mac, you could learn how to do it in SDL (or SFML or Allegro) and get Windows and Linux support for free. If you click the link in my signature, you'll find an article I wrote on getting started with SDL and OpenGL on Mac OS X.

Blakeasd

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Dec 29, 2009
Thanks mac2x for the website recommendation, its been very helpful. Also thanks GorillaPaws for the book recommendation. I have one more question, the book had a lot of Carbon code in it, how hard would it be to convert the Carbon code to Cocoa? I would like to do this because I'm not sure 10.7 will support Carbon. Should I bother trying to convert it to Cocoa or just leave it in Carbon?

Last edited:
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.