Mac Game Drought!!!

Discussion in 'Games' started by ericsthename, Jan 5, 2007.

1. ericsthename macrumors regular

Alright fellow gamers!

I'm getting antsy as F*** over here. I bought myself a spanky Macbook Pro last January, and waited MONTHS to get it. All this after having waited a YEAR for apple to update their anciently long-in-the-tooth-desperatly-needing-replaced G4 powerbooks.

The reason I agonized over this $2500 machine which has been Rev A garbage 3X over, was so that I could play games.

THEN to add insult to injury, there have been a measly 2 games that I've played on it. Quake 4 and Unreal 2004. I monkeyed with Halo - but I have an xbox and have already beat it AND Halo 2, plus the UB is AWFUL. I played a bit of Doom 3 and it was a terrible shooter.

If I don't get something decent to play on my MBP soon, the hardware will be outdated before I could even have used it... I'd be seriously pissed then.

OH and yes I have Bootcamped twice and played a few windows games... but overall its just a big pain. A bit like having a racecar - you have to haul it around in a big truck anywhere you want to use it, and then unpack it, set it up and blah blah blah before you can even play with it.

Does anyone know of anything exciting on the western front? Is there any hope for REAL mac games?

2. Spartacus macrumors member

I mainly console game, but I keep Civilization IV: Warlords, Command & Conquer: Generals, and The Sims 2 on my MBP for the very odd, unnatural time I think to myself, "Hey, it's about time I use my laptop made by a company notoriously bad for gamers to do a little gaming!" And when that happens, I usually just BootCamp it. You might want to check out Crossovers, though. I hear Half-Life 2 runs well on it in OSX.

But seriously, Civ IV is amazing.

3. blOOdNiNja macrumors newbie

blOOdNiNja

use CrossOver Mac, run any windows games in the mac OS flawlessly

installing can be a pain sometimes but once you getting running its fine

4. risc macrumors 68030

risc

You bought a Mac to play games? How new to the platform are you? :rolleyes:

If you want to know what games are coming out on OS X check out http://insidemacgames.com/ but really you shouldn't complain if there aren't any, this is OS X not Windows after all.

Who would of thunk it Windows games would require Windows to run. If this isn't the option you wanted what did you actually expect? Did you think Apple moving to Intel would some how magically make games appear?

I don't mean to be rude but seriously wtf?

5. risc macrumors 68030

risc

That's a very very very bold statement.

6. blOOdNiNja macrumors newbie

blOOdNiNja

...worked for me

even remembered my 4+ year old steam login info =)

7. ericsthename thread starter macrumors regular

Ahhhh here we go... haha some mac gaming discussion:

I'm not new to the platform, I've been on mac since system 7.xx

My point about Bootcamp was not a complaint against apple/diss on windows, but I just didnt want a bunch of responses from people saying to bootcamp my computer and get on with it...

More or less, I just can't believe that there have been so FEW games to come out for mac lately! I mean, back on my iMac DV in 1999 I can remember the whole OSX transition being pretty killer on the gaming, but I can't remember a drought this long...

The mac platform has gotten SO much better as far as software support - there used to be a time when having a mac was like a verdict of separation between my friends and I, but now the software is much much more compatible.

Its just gaming... I would expect that Apple would see less games, but usually there are a steady stream of "higher quality" titles to bridge the gap.

I appreciate the tip on Crossover though - I've heard a bit about it but always been skeptical of emulation, never thought it would be able to handle anything serious...

Cummon.... there must be people around who are just itching - like myself - to see some interesting titles come the way of OSX!!!

8. risc macrumors 68030

risc

I just had a quick look at the reviews on insidemacgames.com and there are at least 5-10 reviews a month for games out on OS X and this goes back months and months. I don't think there is a drought on, I just think Mac gaming has been the same as it always has...

Yesterday I tried out Geneforge 4 for OS X it's a great game if you are in to old school RPGs. Unfortunately with OS X you really don't get the opportunity to pick and choose because hardly anything is ever released (compared to Windows). ;)

9. Chone macrumors 65816

Chone

Crossover is not good enough for gaming, at least not for games released in the past 4-5 years... if even that.

See here is a compatibility list, all that work are Valve games and with a bronze rating... which means its not really playable.

http://www.codeweavers.com/compatibility/browse/cat/?cat_id=16;sort[medal_id]=DESC

As far as non-bootcamp alternatives I put my biggest bet on 3D accelerated Parallels which is not too far off...

Right now running Windows, games scream on my Macbook Pro and even more on my Mac Pro.

10. michaelsaxon macrumors 6502

There are a lot of people switching right now; market forces will likely rectify this.

11. Bobdude161 macrumors 65816

Bobdude161

Focus on the older games. There are tons!!! I have been looking around amazon.com and found many games that were highly rated and were moved over to Mac. But don't count on Mac only games to come out in the near future. I'm sure when Vista comes out, the PC game industry may be considering alternatives.

12. Mac'Mo macrumors 6502a

Mac'Mo

not really, the big blockbusters are all going to pc

13. gathaar macrumors member

If you're a real die-hard gamer, you just don't have to buy an apple computer. The best game I'll ever be able to play on my white macbook is HOMM V i think. I love apple computers/Mac OS, but for games they are just crap.

Luckily there are some good older games to play on my windows partition ...

14. fblack macrumors 6502a

fblack

Games are being released...

It has been a drought this past year.:(

Glenda Adams over at Aspyr said they had pulled back quite a bit on releases. IMHO many developers were taking a wait and see approach to bootcamp. Adams said they probably pulled back too much and would release more titles this coming year. Prey is already Gold master and is scheduled to start shipping January 16. Age of Empires 3 just came out like 3 months ago, and Imperial Glory came out about a month ago. So stuff is coming out, hopefully there will be more. :cool:

15. Quboid macrumors 6502

I have said it before and i will say it again.
    Macs are not for gammers.

ever heard of alienware??

16. greatdevourer macrumors 68000

Alienware? Pah! DIY computing will get you it far better and far cheaper

Tbh, with a lot of Mac gaming, I'm waiting to see what Bootcamp becomes with 10.5 (hopefully, a full VM with that funky Parallels combined desktop thing)

17. ericsthename thread starter macrumors regular

Yeah, I read that letter from Aspyr saying how 2006 was the worst year for mac gaming in recent times.

I just don't understand why! Yes I realize the mac is a fairly "niche" market, but it still represents a significant market - especially in the personal side of things.

I think it's apple's job to make the effort to convince developers that they're serious about reversing this stigma that the mac is a bad gaming platform.

18. Chone macrumors 65816

Chone

Mac OS X is a pretty sloppy gaming platform, there is no doubt about that, Macs are good gaming computers when they are running Windows :rolleyes:, seriously if you like games then buy a PC or use Bootcamp, I stopped buying games for the Mac around 2000 when I got a PC and I never regret that decision, the only game I might buy for the Mac is HoMMV but thats just because I need something to play on my MBP to blow some time without needing a restart, when I want to play a real game, I don't mind going over to the Windows side.

And Apple is doing less and less to convince developers that Macs can be viable gaming platforms, for example a 1200 17" iMac will be outdated for games in a few months (its already a tad outdated) and you can't upgrade the card... the only computer thats good for gaming is the Mac Pro, simply because you can upgrade the components in it, then again a Mac Pro with 2GB of RAM and a X1900XTX will run you more than $3000...

19. Haoshiro macrumors 68000

Haoshiro

When I switched from PC to Mac I didn't expect to be gaming...

So I bought this Mac, and a 360 for gaming. My only complaint is the occasional LAN party I used to host, the game selection for that is really reduced, so I'll Boot Camp soon just for those days (which are only a few times a year).

20. IEatApples macrumors 6502a

IEatApples

HOMM V all the way!!! :D

I think the 20" & 24" iMacs are quite good for gaming, but I agree that Apple should look into getting better cards for their machines.

(256MB should be a minimum). :D

21. Homy macrumors newbie

"Does anyone know of anything exciting on the western front? Is there any hope for REAL mac games?"

Have you played Call of Duty?

22. PlaceofDis macrumors Core

1. how is the software more compatible? OS X is just as different from Windows as ever. they just use similar hardware now, which has no bearing on making a game, in fact right now its still harder as they have to use XCode to create Universal binaries instead of whatever they used to use in-house for porting games.

2. Apple doesn't care about gaming. they couldn't care less if one game per month came out or 50.

3. it would be nice to see some new titles head this way, but right now its hard for the ports to be done, and its a niche market. not the best of situations.

23. IEatApples macrumors 6502a

IEatApples

It's not that hard anymore thanks to Cider. :)

24. gathaar macrumors member

Yeah Alienware is good, in the last "PCGamer" I bought (Now I don't buy them anymore with my mac) all gaming computers are from alienware.

There's also this Falcon Northwest MACH V which is very good. It only costs
    $7 670 ^^

25. poppe macrumors 68020

poppe

Age of Empires III is a joke... I bought that... Waisted fricken 54.95 on it... I was so so so excited to take my beautifully crafted MBP and play against my girlfriend on her Dell. Guess what. AOE3 is not cross platform compatible. So I emailed them on what a joke it was. There response. My letter will be passed on to the higher authorities or something.... how lame... now I have to find a way to not take a huge loss on it and get the windows version so I can just bootcamp...

I'm bitter... Its just that the only game I ever play is Age. Nothing else really is all that fun. Well halo, but I have the Xbox for that.